Author Topic: HICKSON of Sunderland, Durham  (Read 2340 times)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
HICKSON of Sunderland, Durham
« on: Thursday 02 June 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm trying to find out more about Henry Hickson, born abt 1803, in Sunderland, Durham. He married Maria DOUGLAS in Grimsby, Linc, and moved to Yorkshire where he worked as a Tanner.
Are there any parish registers available for Sunderland that could have Henry's baptism in it, and give his parents names and possible siblings?

Many thanks
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HICKSON of Sunderland, Durham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 June 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
The Bishop's Transcripts for Sunderland are available at http://www.rootschat.com/links/08kc/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 04:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan, I didn't know these existed on familysearch's website, and had a good browse - so many thanks for that :D
It's a shame there was a big gap, and none for Sunderland around the year that Henry was born... nevermind... I shall keep plodding on!

Kind regards
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
I looked in my transcript for Sunderland from 1801-1805 and I didn't see anyone with the surname Hickson.

The other thought is that he may have been born in Bishopwearmouth or even Monkwearmouth which I know some folks were born but said they were born Sunderland.

There is a 1797 marriage in Bishopwearmouth of a Thomas Hixon and Mary Ord  There is a burial of a Jane Hickson, of Monkwearmouth Shore 19 Dec 1798, died 17 Dec 1798, of smallpox d/o Thomas Hickson and Mary Ord, seaman

Another alternate spelling you might check is Higson.

A burial in Bishopwearmouth of a Robert Hickson, age 27, Wearmouth, 10 Oct 1824

A number of children baptised as children of John and Margaret Hixon/Hixson/Hickson ranging from 1815-1836

Just some ideas for you to look at

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis, many thanks for trying  :)

I had a browse of the Monkwearmouth entries (didn't see any images available on familysearch.org for Bishopwearmouth), but couldn't find anything extra, other than what you found... and it's definately food for thought!

I'm wondering if Henry's father was a tanner, for this occupation seems to have been passed down the family (Henry was one, as well as all his four sons).  Still, this is just a guess, at best.

Many thanks for your help!

Offline scoobydee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 June 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have Henry Hickson married Maria Douglas in my family tree occupation tanner born wetheral cumberland died 1867

my link is his son Charles married Margaret Gannon hull reg office there daughter Alice Hickson married James Stephenson hull 1907 and there daughter Mary stephenson married frank Atkin this is my husbands grandma don't know if this is of any help to you

Regards

Dee

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 11 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee
thanks for your message - I have checked and I have your husband's grandma's side in my tree, which is good. I descend from Henry Hickson's and Mary Douglas' daughter, Isabella Hickson (whose second husband was Charles Edward Dick).
Regards
Rachel

Offline scoobydee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Thanks for the reply have you researched any of 1836 charles hickson's children? as my link Alice born 1888 says born Hull al the way through the census but I have applied for all the Alice Hickson's born hull and none of them match I wondered if you had found a birth for her bit of a mystery this one

Regards

Dee