Author Topic: Southbourough Cemetery, Victoria Road,  (Read 6611 times)

Offline wek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southbourough Cemetery, Victoria Road,
« on: Thursday 02 June 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
I am told I have relatives buried at Southborough Cemetery, Victoria Road, Southborough, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
I have contacted a representative of city hall, but she was unable to find the correct person.

I am looking for Beatrice Louise Barden Seale, who died ~February 19th 1959.  Her husband Arthur George Seale died in 1945.

They have a daughter, Elsie Lillian Seale who married my great uncle Alexander Ligate. She may have been buried by the last name of Ligate, or she may have remarried a Mr. Baker, and been buried by that name. She supposedly died on April 3, 1955.  At this point the grave is evidently unmarked.

I have also not been able to find a death certificate, as I don't know what name I am searching under.  She may have been Elsie or at times used Elise.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Southbourough Cemetery, Victoria Road,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 June 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Where and when did Alexander Ligate die and when was he born?

Knowing when he died will narrow a search for any remarriage 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 June 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
This is quite a complicated family history. I will try to be brief with just the highlights. Alexander Ligate was born May9th 1895 in Troon, Aryshire Scotland. He died June 3, 1958 in ThunderBay (then Port Arthur) Ontario Canada.
Alexander and Elsie were married September 6, 1917 at St. Stephen's Church, Parish of Bexhill, Sussex.

I have found numerous trips of Elsie going to and from England to Canada, and on or about May 6, 1928 she left Canada alone, and left her children and husband. apparently a lawyer was hired to find her where abouts, and all I know is that what was found wasn't pretty.

Rumor has it she went to Malta. I don't know. One relative I recently found recalls calling her with a Mr. Baker.
I have hit a dead end. so any help is appreciated.

wendy kuhse

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
That makes a very big difference.  By the time Alexander died Elsie was 58. If she and Alexander never formally divorced - she was not (legally) free to marry until after his death

The incoming passenger list for 1928 shows her as 27yrs old - housewife.   Address was given as 17 Pearcroft Rd Leytonstone

There is no marriage/death for an Elsie Ligate  but here is Beatrice's death reg

Beatrice L Seale aged 83 March qtr 1959  Tonbridge  5b  1211
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
Scouting around the BMD indexes shows that Elsie had siblings born between 1911-1916 - all in Kent

They are all now deceased but their children may not be and may be able to shed some light on Elsie for you

We are not allowed to show the names of possible living persons so I will send you a pm

Offline wek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 June 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
Another thought, we think the Pearcroft address might have been Elsie's brother. I don't know if he had children or not.
I also wondered where you found the information on Beatrice death. so I can get a copy of that.
thanks again.
wendy :)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I got her death reg from a subscription site - the reference will enable you to buy a copy of her death cert via www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Beatrice Louise SEAL was buried 19 February 1959 at Southborough Cemetery.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

You can find out more by buying credits or try contacting the council again as it looks as though they didn't consider any variants in the surname.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 June 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
From the same source

Beatrice Louise SEAL buried 19  February 1959, again at Southborough.  :D
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk