Author Topic: Bayly or Bagly emigrated to Canada-1934  (Read 4218 times)

Offline dennism

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bayly or Bagly emigrated to Canada-1934
« on: Thursday 02 June 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
We are looking for information on the emigration of my wife's father and his parents from the UK in approx. 1934 to North Bay, Ontario, Canada
We have very little informtion except his name was Richard Bayly which might have been changed from Bagly and he had at least one sister known as "Skip" and a brother whose wife's name was IDA.
They lived in Toronto on Olive Street near Yonge St.
Dennis Moise for Barb Moise

Offline rachellaura84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bayly or Bagly emigrated to Canada-1934
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 June 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, do you have a date of birth at all? or an approx. year?

Offline dennism

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 June 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, we think it was approx. 1926.

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Dennis

Searching the Canadian Library & Archives index to arrivals, a 4m old Richard Bayly arrived in Quebec on 11 June 1927 onboard the ATHENIA from England. 

Possible matches for his family are a 2yr old Agnes Bayly, a 34 yr old Agnes Bayly, Charles 14, Eleanor 8, Gilbert 10, and the father looks to have been called Gilbert, although no age is recorded for him.

The probable marriage of Gilbert & Agnes was in Morpeth (borders of County Durham & Northumberland) in Jan-Mar 1913 - Gilbert Bayly, Agnes Falcus

From what you know, does this family sound like a possibility?

Dazey

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 11 20:14 BST (UK) »
Charles D Bayly 1914 (Qtr 1) Haltwhistle, Northumberland
Gilbert Bayly, 1914 (Qtr 4) Berwick
Gilbert Bayly, 1917 Berwick
Eleanor Bayly, 1919 Berwick

Can't see a death for one of the Gilberts, nor a birth registration for Agnes or Richard.

Offline dennism

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick response, I am Barbara Moise(Bayly)......I have had no contact with
Richard Bayly since I was 6-7, no memory of names, but Gilbert and Elenor I know are siblings
for sure.  Can you persue any more info on the family......I have tried here in Canada, no clues
at all.....my Mom has dementia so asking her again she does not even remember his name,
they were so young when their marriage ended.  Thank you again....this sure helps me.
Barbara

Offline dennism

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 11 00:53 BST (UK) »
Dazy999 my wife has never known her father.
He left shortly after she was born.
She thinks she may have brothers and maybe sisters but doesn't know for sure.
I think it's very important that she connects with any family she can.
Thanks for your help.
Dennis M.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 11 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Dazey found your relatives' arrival to Canada on the Library and Archives Canada site.  Here is the free image of the passenger list from that site.  Gilbert, the father, is 34.  If you scroll across the image from left to right, there is a second page that says they are coming to Canada to farm, and their contact in Canada is Toronto c/o the Empire Settlement Act.  They say there are no relatives left in England, and give a friend's name as a contact there. 

Both Gilbert Jr. and Eleanor were born in Berwick - so this matches with the records Dazey found.  The birthplaces of the rest of the family are given, so perhaps you can find them on the Free BMD?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dk9/

I think you said you are in Canada.  If you are near Toronto, you can go to the downtown reference library and see if you can find your relatives in the Toronto City Directories.  Also, if you are in the Toronto area and have a library card, you can access the Toronto Star newspaper archives for free from the library or your home computer.   

If you have a look on the Canada Board here on Rootschat -- under Canada Resources, there is an entire thread on Ontario resources.  This could give you some more leads and ideas. 

RK :)     

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 June 11 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Dazey is absolutely correct about Agnes's maiden name.  It is certainly Falcus.  I found her obituary in the Toronto Star on Monday June 21, 1982.  She died in Toronto on June 20th.  The obituary mentions her children, the daughters' married names and other helpful information.  Only one of the children was deceased in 1982 - Charles.  One of the sisters is said to be called Skip.  It all ties in with what you knew and what Dazey found out.  Agnes is interred at the Highland Memory Gardens in Toronto.

I will PM you the rest of the details, because some of the people mentioned may be living. 

RK :)