Author Topic: Marjorie J Crowe b1886 Census Lookup  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Lisa500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marjorie J Crowe b1886 Census Lookup
« on: Friday 03 June 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Would anyone be so kind as to do a census lookup on a Marjorie J Crowe born 1886 in the Isle of Man?

I’ve done a simple search and been able to see her in both the 1901 & 1911 census, but I can just see her name & age. I’d like to know the full household details for her, in particular who she was living with in 1891,1901 & 1911.

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated
Thanks
Lisa

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marjorie J Crowe b1886 Census Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
First off - we can't give you details of the 1911 census, due to copyright and other legal stuff. You have to pay credits to look at that yourself.

1901 census:
Reference RG13, Piece 5307, Folio 163, Page 30
10 Dale Street, Maughold, Ramsey, Isle of Man

Crowe, John C  Head  Widower  M  44  Baker  b Ramsey
Crowe, Marjorie J  Daughter  F  15  b Ramsey
Crowe, Richard P  Son  M  11  b Ramsey
Crowe, Annie  Servant  F  67  General Domestic Servant  b Lezayre

I can't find Marjorie in the 1891 census (yet!), but she isn't with her father.
John Charles Crowe is still at Dale Street, Baker and Confectioner with just 3 servants, and no family. (Reference RG12, 4685, 71, 13).

Scrub that!  ;D
John C appears twice, it seems:
Reference RG12, 4685, 10, 13
Bay View, Lezayre, Ramsey, Isle of Man

Curphey, William  Head  M  52  Cow Keeper  b Lezayre
Curphey, Jane E  Wife  F  56  b Malew
Watson, Elizabeth  Sister  Widow  F  54  Living on Own Means  b Malew  Paralytic
Clague, Mary Ann  Servant  F  22  Domestic Servant  b Lezayre
Clague, Margaret E  Servant  F  20  Domestic Servant  b Lezayre
Crow, John C  Son-in-Law  M  34  Baker & Confectioner  b Ramsey
Crow, Isabella C  Daughter  F  27  b Lezayre
Crow, John C  Grandson  M  6  b Ramsey
Crow, Margorie C  Granddaughter  F  5  b Ramsey
Crow, Jane C  Granddaughter  F  2  b Ramsey

That should give you a few generations to work on!!  ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lisa500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information - that really helps me.

I had hoped there would be an Eleanor Crowe amongst Marjorie's relatives as that is who I'm looking for, but doesn't look like, good to rule it out though.

Apologies re 1911, didn't realise. I'll try and sign up and investigate further.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
When was Eleanor born?
What relationship was she to the other Crowe's I found?

The following show up in 1901:

Reference RG13, 5300, 16, 8
Village, Michael, Kirk Michael

Faragher, Robert A  Head  M  29  Stone Mason  b Lezayre
Faragher, Frances J  Wife  F  24  b Michael
Crowe, Eleanor  Mother-in-Law  Widow  F  62  Dress Maker  b Michael

Reference RG13, 5300, 87, 6
Narey, Lezayre

Crowe, Thomas  Head  M  Farmer  b Lezayre
Crowe, Eleanor  Wife  F  56  b German, IoM
Crowe, Hwan  Brother  M  72  b Lezayre  Blind from birth
(Could be Juan? Pronounced Jew-Ann on the Island!)
Quine, Mary E  Niece  F  19  b Barrow-in-Furness

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lisa500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
Its a long story!

Basically my great grandmother Eleanor Crowe gave birth illegitamately to my grandmother Marjorie Crowe in 1905. I have all the details about every Eleanor Crowe that ever lived but its impossible to find out which one is mine. I did a general search on female Crowe's and could only find one Marjorie, so as a long shot I wondered if she may be related eg sister to my Eleanor as very often children were named after family members.

Anyway I've posted down the story below from a previous post in case you are interested.

Thanks again
Lisa

Eleanor Crowe, gave birth to my grandmother Marjorie Crowe in January 1905 at 13 Back Sea View, Hoylake, Wirral (at the house of a Minnie Webster).

The baby was supposedly provided with a large sum of money for her education and some expensive baby clothes. The baby was apparently advertised for sale in the Liverpool Echo and possibly also the Chester Chronicle . She was adopted by a couple in Frodsham (called the Carringtons) who unfortunately spent her inheritance money and burnt what we believe were some form of adoption papers. On the 1911 census Marjorie is shown living with the Carringtons and listed as their adopted daughter.

When I ordered the birth certificate (for Marjorie Crowe) from the GRO, it shows the mother as Eleanor Crowe (domestic servant) living at 19 Back Sea View, Hoylake, Wirral and had the father’s name crossed out (Thomas Shields).

A couple of months ago I found out that the baby, Marjorie was christened at the Holy Trinity Church, Hoylake in February 1905. I ordered the christening certificate from Chester Records Office and it is a sheet of paper with a few rows of baby's Christenings on it. Under Parents name, there are 2 columns one for Christian name and one for surname. In the row for Marjorie Crowe, the ‘Christian name’ column says Thomas & Eleanor, but again Thomas is crossed out. In the surname column it says Crowe. So this matches with the birth certificate where Thomas was crossed out. The only difference is that when the entry was made the vicar must have thought he was Thomas Crowe, as only Crowe is stated in the surname column (ie no mention of Shields) plus Marjorie is spelt Margery.

In the 40s or 50s my Grandma (Marjorie Crowe, married name Marjorie Lewis) went with her children to see Minnie Webster (who’s house Eleanor gave birth in) to find out information about her Mother, Eleanor Crowe. We have no idea how she found out about Minnie Webster, all we can presume is that she found out from her adoptive parents.

Minnie told them that all she knew about Eleanor Crowe was that she was a young girl and after the birth planned to go back to the Isle of Man where she was from to live it down! I believe Minnie wouldn't give any more details as she had been sworn to secrecy. I have researched into Isle of Man Eleanor Crowes and there doesn’t seem to be any, so how true Minnie’s information was I don’t know.

Marjorie Crowe as a child did see some form of adoption papers that the Carrington’s had and all she remembers is seeing the words Christ church and sun/sunshine.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 11 10:17 BST (UK) »

Crowe, Hwan  Brother  M  72  b Lezayre  Blind from birth
(Could be Juan? Pronounced Jew-Ann on the Island!)
agree that Juan pronounced Jew ann but Hwan = Euan or Huan ( sometimes Ewan +  often mis transcribed as Evan) - often anglicised as Hugh - another form of John via Manx gaelic earlier Eoin / Ean
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry Francis!

That's what happens when a lapsed comeover tries to do the Manx stuff?!?!  ;D

Lisa,

Maybe this lady fits? It's the only single, Eleanor I can find that might fit the bill?

1901 census - Reference RG13, Piece 3945, Folio 60, Page 17
19 Alfred Street, Preston

Crewe, Eleanor  Boarder  Single  F  23  Cook  b Isle of Man

Far too many Thomas Shields to search through!  :(

Offline Lisa500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
That Eleanor is a strong contender, right age and from Isle of Man.

I started a thread on this on the Lancashire area: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,489392.msg3471886.html

But very difficult to be certain, not sure we're ever going to solve this one :(