Author Topic: PJ Gordon of Claremorris, but where was he born?  (Read 8688 times)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PJ Gordon from Claremorris, but where was he born?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 June 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Quote from: ROC
Their children were as follows:
> Mary Honora Gordon [I don't have any dates]
> Anna Maria Gordon [1863 - unknown]
> Bridget Gordon [1867 - unknown]
> Delia Gordon [1867 - 1930]
> Joseph Gordon [1870 - unknown]
> Sara Mary Gordon [1875 - unknown]
> Thomas M Gordon [1876 - unknown]
> Michael Joseph Gordon [1878 - 1957]
> Winifred [Cissy] Gordon [1881 - 1896]
> Elizabeth Gordon [1886 - unknown]

From https://www.familysearch.org/
1) Mary Honoria Gordon m.(23 Oct.1883 Indiana) Patrick John Egan- 1900 Census should list month and year of birth
2) Bridget born 6 Aug.1867 Claremorris (p.182 in civil register)
3) Joseph born 12 Jan.1870 Claremorris (p.222 in civil register)
4) Thomas born 11 Dec.1876 Claremorris
5) Elizabeth born c1891 m.(2 June 1920 Indiana) James Dalton

Passenger lists for the children going to U.S. might list next of kin in Ireland as well as contact person/address in U.S.- possibly Patrick's brother.

Thanks for these!  I never got near passenger lists yet, though intended to at some point. I'll have to look into those. Possible that John might be a contact. 

Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PJ Gordon of Claremorris, but where was he born?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 July 11 02:32 BST (UK) »
I have Crossmolina records and looked up any potential Patrick Gordans/Gordan matches. The Ballyvickmaha could very well be Ballyloughaun or vise versa. The register was very difficult to read in places.
If you have further questions please send a personal message.
Diski
1832 5th Jul   Hugh   Father Anthony Gordon   Mother Winifred   Moran   Ballyvicmaha   Witnesses: James   Hughes   cath   Hughes
1841 17th Mar   Patrick   Father Anthony Gordon  Mother Winifred   Moran   Ballyloughaun   Witnesses: Tho   Leonard   Mary   Commons

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Diski,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Apologies about the delay in my response, I haven't been on this site in a while.

As of a few days ago, I have found proof of where he comes from in the form of a newspaper article that states "Tuam man PJ Gordon, who was born and raised in this County Galway town before moving to Claremorris, County Mayo...", so I guess I can now assume that the birth cert I got for the Tuam "Gordan" is his..?

That was:  Patrick Gordan
It mentions that he is a twin. The date of birth is 25 Jan 1839.
Address is not recorded. Parish/District is Tuam, Co. Galway. Father is James Gordan, Mother is Mary Fury. Sponsors are William Ash and Mary Kigan.

So I guess I have to get back onto looking up his twin now and maybe I can gain something from that. Not sure where to start on that yet, it'd probably be easier to visit whoever keeps the records in Tuam Parish and check who else was born on that date as his twin should be listed on the same page I would assume. Perhaps more info is included in his birth cert?

Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
There are no birth certs before 1864, so you would be looking for baptism records.

Films of historic RC parish records are available in the National Library in Dublin. The Tuam parish records are on films Pos. 4221 & 4222 and go back to the 1790s. Early baptism records dont give very much detail - for an RC baptism around this time you probably see date of baptism, both parents full names, names of two godparents, and possibly a basic address.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:16 BST (UK) »
There are no birth certs before 1864, so you would be looking for baptism records.

Films of historic RC parish records are available in the National Library in Dublin. The Tuam parish records are on films Pos. 4221 & 4222 and go back to the 1790s. Early baptism records dont give very much detail - for an RC baptism around this time you probably see date of baptism, both parents full names, names of two godparents, and possibly a basic address.

Shane

Thanks so much for that info, Shane.

The National Library is pretty much impossible for me to get to at this time but some day I'll have to make the trip and try and fit in as much as possible.

Offline Clare Morris

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
I just saw your posting.
I think PJ Gordon owned the large stone corner building opposite the Dalton Inn Hotel.
I seem to recall seeing a very old photo of Claremorris with his name on the building. The best place to look might be the Main Street Gathering Facebook Page. In recent years the building was known as Blacoes Corner, before that Mc Ellins Corner and before that Murphy's Corner.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 March 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
right hand page no 25 Tuam Jan 1839
Pat and Bridget of James Gordon and Mary Fury
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632079#page/150/mode/1up

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMS9-986