Author Topic: What started you off ...  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Jocie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What started you off ...
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 May 05 18:43 BST (UK) »
In a word 'curiosity.'  My mother always told me stories of her family and loved looking at family photographs especially those of her family when she was young.  I felt I knew quite a lot about her side of the family although it is not documented.
So what did I do...I decided to find out about my husbands family. He was the youngest of his family and was away at school for most of his childhood. He has no family photographs or documents and knows nothing of his family history. His remaining family know little and are  sensitive about discussing what they do know. What little I have gathered is of doubtful accuracy.
So never able to resist a challenge I decided this was the way forward.  My husband is fascinated and probably knows far more than anyone else in the family now. This from the man who when I asked who his Grandmother was said 'I don't know I never met her!'  He knows now!!!!
My only worry is what did I do before I was bitten by this bug?!?!
Jo
LANCASTER - London Kent Sussex Croydon
CLEMMANS - London Kent Sussex
ROCHE - London
WARE - Kent
SPENCER - Kent
NEWNHAM - Sussex
FISHER - London Norfolk
DENNINGTON - London
MONTAGUE - Kent

Any census lookups are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What started you off ...
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
 ;D I started on this mad course ten years ago, just to find out where in Ireland my Dad's grandad came from, he can remember going to chat with him when he was old and bed ridden, and he would tell him all about Ireland and show him how to use the joinery tools, which he passed onto him when he died.

Turns out he was born in Liverpool and grew up in and around Liverpool, Windle then moved to St Helens and finally to Irlam in Salford.  Probably never set foot in Ireland. But spent years chasing the irish John Patrick, ten years down the line, I am still chasing the Irish John Patrick Callaghan, as we cannot find his dad.

Anyone know him??? ???
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)