Author Topic: Cornish/Dey Family Bible  (Read 7621 times)

Offline Tomcatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornish/Dey Family Bible
« on: Saturday 04 June 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
I would like to know who owns this bible now. The Family lived in Devon England.
My late only cousin on this side of the family visited an elderly cousin of our mothers,
(Amy and Gladys Cattermole ) approx 1985 to obtain family information for me.
She was shown this Bible and copied some of the information for me, both my Aunt and cousin died not long after, as she never said who she visited I do not know which branch of the family owns it
If possible would like to make contact and obtain more information as I live in West Australia  I cannot go to Devon and search myself.
Dey information started 1840's
Tomcatt

Offline jo4themo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cornish/Dey Family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 11 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I hope you don't mind me contacting youas this has nothing to do with the Bible. I recently bought a lot of papers at an auction ,and amongst them was a mounted letter from Buckingham Palace to a Mr Frederick Dey of Preston, Paignton, Devon dated 1907.
The letter and the envelope are both stuck (really well!) onto card with a mount over it. It has some foxing to it as well.
I was wondering if Frederick Dey is a relative of yours and if so, would you be interested in the letter?
Thank you
Emma

Offline Tomcatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma,
Thank you for your contact the letter sounds fascinating, but so far I have not found a Frederick in my direct line.
I have contacts with two ladies in England that have descended  from other lines of the family our common ancestor being Thomas Dey of Bradford born c1776 so they may have a Frederick among their lines.
If you do not mind I would like to pass this information on to them so will wait to hear from you.
Regards Elsie (Tomcatt)

Offline jo4themo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 11 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elsie
Thank you for replying so quickly. I do not mind you passing on the information to the other ladies, especially if I can reunite this letter with it's rightful family
Thanks
Emma

Offline Texaswedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tomcatt,

I'm sorry that I don't have the bible but I am a great grandson of Joseph and Emma through their son William Henry b 1869.  I'm just a beginner at genealogy but had a bit of luck finding a family tree on the web containing Joseph's father William b 1788 in Morwenstow, Cornwall.  The tree goes back to the Reverend John Cornish b. Poughill (near Bude) 1590.  I still bear the same surname.  Incidentally the tree has been compiled by someone in Australia. 
I hope that this is useful.

Texaswedge

Offline Texaswedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 12 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tomcatt,

The family lived in Dostabrook (Sometimes Dosterbrook) Cottages and the cottages are still standing to this day: I've looked at them using Google Streetview.  William and Mary lived about 1 mile south.  I've not yet found Mary's Surname but Bere Ferrers or Beer Ferris was her birthplace.  William was baptised (not born) in 1788 at Morwenstow in the district of Kilkhampton. 

William Henry married Emma Louisa Culliford and had 9 children, my father was the youngest.  He was a head gardener and his employer died in 1907 leaving him £1000.  He went to Canada to look for a better life and was never seen again. 

I was not able to reply to your personal message as I have less than 3 posts.  Incidentally my mother was also a Gladys!
T.