Author Topic: Barrett of Phillidelphia  (Read 11302 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Barrett of Phillidelphia
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
This family looks a match in 1850 Northern Liberties Ward 2, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Hugh Barrett   40 Born Ireland. Shoe-Maker.
Ellen Barrett   30 Born Ireland.
Georgiana Barrett   8 Born Ireland
Jane Barrett   2 Born Pennsylvania
Maria Barrett   0 Born Pennsylvania
Wm Barrett   22 Born Ireland Shoe Maker.
Ellen Duffy   18 Born Ireland

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I believe that this is possibly Marjorie C Steinbrugge/Barrett wife of Leonard Rutledge Barrett (Son of Stephen)
They had 2 sons - will send you a pm.

Marjorie Barrett. Born 26 April 1914 and Died December 1985
Last Residence:   07660  Ridgefield Park, Bergen, New Jersey
SSN was issued in New York (Before 1951)

Marjorie with her family in 1930 Summit, Union, New Jersey.

Edward Steinbrugge   50 Born France. Salesman. Life Ins
Marjory C Steinbrugge   36  New York
Marjory C Steinbrugge   16 Born NJ
Edward D Steinbrugge   13  Born NY

Believe this to be her parents:- Married 1 st March 1913 York. Ontario.

Edward Steinbrugge Jr  - Born about 1876 -  Turgeau Holti West Indies - Aged   37 years
Father Name:   Edward Steinbrugge  -  Mother Comilla Liot
Spouse Name:   Marjorie Cicely Macdonald. Aged about 26 years. Born Albany. New York
Spouse Father Name:   Donald Macdonald. Mother Florence Nichols
Spouse Mother Name:   Florence Nicholls

There is a passport application for Edward Steinbrugge with photograph.  (15th November 1922)

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
What do you think about this? I think I found this not you guys. Seems odd to me, husband always comes first, is Frederic really Frederica?  With the Rutledge family sharing?  The ages are all over the place if it is our Barretts.  Leonard is said to have been a life long sailor, captain of a ship before he was of full age, 21, just a coincidence isn't it?  But the Georgina fits in well with the Barrett 1850 . census other than age again, are these just errors? or people saying they are older than they are.  We also would have to ask who Ann and Joseph belong too.
1860 US census, Philadelphia.
Ellen Rutledge age 28, female, printer,
Frederik Rutledge age 28, male, (Is this is an error)
Ann Rutledge age 3
Joseph Rutledge age 1
William J Rutledge age 26
 plus
Leonard Barrett age 25, printer
Georgina Barrett age 24
 cheers fred

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Am I just dull ::) don't answer that.  Ancestry have Irish census and parish records, but I can't find them when I sign in.  Is it a seperate site where we have to pay again?  Off to try again.  Fred

Yep I was dumb

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Angela remembers the name Hugh and him being a shoe maker.  Leonard was probably already a boy sailor

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,

Yes, I did see the Rutledge and Barrett 1860 Census earlier but so far haven't come up with any further leads from it.     I also added on the posting (reply 14)  on the next page were 2 more children - George aged 5 years and Wm 10 months.  So the William Rutledge on the 1870 with L D Barrett, Frederica was that particular William.
On reply 42 - Found the first enumeration and  have added the occupations of that Barrett family.

Georgina aged 24 years on the 1860 could be a sister of Leonard rather than Georgina the cousin born in 1842 (Hugh Snr's daughter)   ???

So far haven't found Frederick, Ellen and children later.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Passport Application for Hugh R Barrett born 13 August 1852 Philadelphia. PA. and aged 23 years. Date of application 23 March 1883.

Although the middle initial is not the same that seems to match with Hugh, wife and daughter in Lower Merion, Montgomery, Pennsylvania in 1897

Hugh W Barrett 47 Born PA. Married 3 years. Manager Ice Co.
Lotta Barrett   31 Born PA. Had 1 child.
Dorothy Barrett 1 Born PA
Margarett Witherenton 34 Servant
May E Witherenton   14 Servant.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
This would seem to be the marriage of Hugh to Lotttie Suehnel in 1897

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dnr/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dns/

Sandra

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
I went looking at the Irish records, and if they weren't destroyed by fire the the government had them destroyed.  I had almost given up because unless you have a record such as Hugh Barrett from Dublin or Donegal you are chasin rainbows. But I just entered Hugh Barrett into a search of Irish directories and - Hugh Barrett Boot and Shoe maker 12 Christchurch Place, Dublin came up, an 1841 list. 
I know it sounds terrible but as far as keeping records of Irish people leaving Ireland nobody seems to have cared too much.  Coming into the UK millions of records, leaving Ireland next to nothing as far as I can see. If it weren't for the ships lists and immigration lists there would be nothing. I know the parish records are very good in Ireland, but unless your grandfather or somebody else once told you where they came from how do you start.
Once a name is mis-spelt when transcribed from census records you really are struggling aren't you.  That's what's happened in 1860 I think, and Mary Rutledge in 1850?  You guys are as daft as me LOL  I find it a bit of a challenge when things don't go the way you want.  Where the bottle, time for a beer, it is as the song says "5 O'clock somewhere"  I'm not much of a drinker, two beers and I'm anybodies......almost. ;D