Author Topic: St Neots workhouse  (Read 1352 times)

Offline carose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Neots workhouse
« on: Sunday 05 June 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a transcribed list of inmates of St Neots workhouse?
I have a Daniel Isitt  a boarder aged 10, an Ag Lab, on the 41 census in Kimbolton.
It says he is born out of the county. On one later census he says he is born in Bedfordshire and others in Kimbolton.
I cannot find any earlier information on him anywhere and wonder if he was a child that was taken from the workhouse to work for the family that he boarded with. I cannot find that he has any connection to this family.
There doesn't appear to be any other Isitt families in the neighbourhood on any census, apart from his own family, so he is a bit of a mystery. He married and spent the remainder of his life in Kimbolton.
Thanks Carose

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Neots workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a transcribed list of inmates of St Neots workhouse?

Not to my knowledge. It's a case of ploughing through the workhouse records at Huntingdon records office. At that time it may have still have been Kimbolton workhouse as St Neots Union workhouse didn't open until the mid 1830s

I assume you've done the obvious, and checked the microfilm of Kimbolton parish register, as baptisms for that period haven't been extracted onto either the IGI or BVRI

On one later census he says he is born in Bedfordshire and others in Kimbolton.

Other than in 1861 where he gives his birthplace as Kettering, Northants. Have you checked Kettering parish register?

See earlier threads at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,396960.msg2675560.html#msg2675560 and http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,396881.msg2675523.html#msg2675523

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock