Author Topic: "Reserved Occupations"  (Read 2491 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"Reserved Occupations"
« on: Monday 06 June 11 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have a general question about being "called up" during war that i was hoping someone may help with.
While going through my research on family members I've come across some who on first glance would have been old enough to serve or be called up during the war but seemingly weren't. When I ask other members of the family why not I get the answer "He worked on the land that was a reserved occupation". However they did do national service after the war.
My question was there such as thing as "Reserved Occupations" and if so what were they (if they're not too long to list  :) ). Would working on the land alone have been enough not to call someone up or would there need to be other factors taken into account?

Thanks

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Reserved Occupations"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
There certainly were Reserved Occupations: everything essential to keep the country going. Large numbers of men working in all the essential industries, such as Agriculture, Mining, Transport, Engineering and many more were exempt from military service.

I believe men were even 'drafted' into these industries, eg the "Bevin Boys" who worked in the coal mines.

In addition, of course, many women were recruited into these industries to release some of the men for fighting.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Reserved Occupations"
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
almost certainly ag labs were part of the reserved occupations. i have an entire family cousins nephews uncles father brothers etc, who didnt serve as they were ag labs. of course some men decided to join anyway, but none of my ag labs did, or if they did there is not one record of any of them.

its a standing joke now in the family that the men folk of the family were all wimps. (not in my opinion, as everyone did their bit mind)
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore