Author Topic: PGCert in Genealogical Studies - Uni of Strathclyde - anyone done it?  (Read 11735 times)

Offline mcwacky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Happily surfing on the shoulders of giants
    • View Profile
Re: PGCert in Genealogical Studies - Uni of Strathclyde - anyone done it?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayle

Welcome on board. I met two more students-to-be at a SoG event in London last week, so that makes 6 of us so far, including the ones on this forum.

Yes, the course is totally online and starts around 28th or 29th of this month if I remember rightly. Given I live in the south of England would be a bit tough going into Glasgow twice a month! LOL

Have you seen the course outline? I think there's a link to it on this forum somewhere. That's about all I k ow so far. Looking forward to getting started as well, though. Think I have most of the books now. What ones have youmstarted off with?
Family research - Clark, Payne, Kirkwood, McDonald, Campbell, Fitzpatrick, Marley, Hewitt, Watt - Scotland (Glasgow, Shotts, Skye, Ardgour) and Ireland (Donegal, Monaghan, Down, Armagh).

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
Exactly how much does this course cost.   Oxford University used to so an open learning course in genealogy that was just short of £1000.  but it was very restrictive in that the work you were asked to do was in the main about areas in the South of England.

Offline k1yak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
The course costs £2350...  The books I have wills and probate tracing your scottish Ancestors and Census the expert guide so I have 5 more to get better get onto amazon.  I have printed out the timetable I've never done a online course before...  I've so far got back to 1740's with my only family and totally hooked.  Can't wait
Sanders Goss Buchanan Andrews Rolph Paton cochran speirs Barnard speller palmer Ramsey Belcher powell Durman Tanner Wood McNeil McDowall Simpson Dick Cumming Graham Goudie White

Offline mcwacky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 October 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gayle

There was someone called Skye on this thread selling some course books. Might be worth sending them a message.
Family research - Clark, Payne, Kirkwood, McDonald, Campbell, Fitzpatrick, Marley, Hewitt, Watt - Scotland (Glasgow, Shotts, Skye, Ardgour) and Ireland (Donegal, Monaghan, Down, Armagh).

Offline mcwacky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 October 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Did you all get your letter, etc. from the college this week? Just managed to login to the course. Best way to do it is just to click on the MyPlace link in the letter, login and you'll find the course link on the left hand side.

There's not much open as yet, just two discussion forums, a genealogy wiki and a welcome section with some useful info in it, including a handy referencing guide (citations drive me nuts!). :-) The computer guide is quite helpful.

Well, look forward to meeting you all online next week when, strangely enough, I'll be in Glasgow for a short visit. LOL

Offline k1yak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 21 October 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Yeah I had a look at it...

Just wish I could start now!!!!
Sanders Goss Buchanan Andrews Rolph Paton cochran speirs Barnard speller palmer Ramsey Belcher powell Durman Tanner Wood McNeil McDowall Simpson Dick Cumming Graham Goudie White

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 October 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Can't log on this morning, I guess everyone has the same idea!  ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline mcwacky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 22 October 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerryb

I was able to login okay just now. I only saw about 6 student names on the MyPlace list though, so might be worth checking whether yours is 'live'. If your name is Kerry, I didn't see it on the list. I know of at least 2 other people who are doing the course whose names aren't yet in the list.

Cheers.

Wilma

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 22 October 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilma

I guess mine isn't live yet as I can't find anything much on the Myplace yet.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....