Author Topic: kewley kinley isle of man  (Read 3214 times)

Offline grannypledge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kewley kinley isle of man
« on: Monday 06 June 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Kewley married Isabella Kinley at Andreas Church on 21st  Feb 1824, Parish Register says, Thomas Kewley and Isabella Kinley alias Kewley ? what does this mean? She already had a child Eliza Kinley born app 1823. I wonder if Thomas was the father, how could I find out. The name Isabella Kinley is underscored with a dotted line, is this significant. Any help appreciated.

Offline geoff_43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad's Night Out
    • View Profile
Re: kewley kinley isle of man
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi grannypledge

Welcome to RootsChat. This may or may not be of help. I have a marriage where the bride was Bailey alias Stone. It turned out she was born a Stone, but her widowed mother remarried a Bailey, when the bride was young.  The bride chose to use her step father's name as father. Later when she remarried and her step father had died, she used her true father's name.

Eliza's baptism record may give you some clues. Perhaps your couple had been living together as man & wife for a while hence her alias being the groom's surname?

Geoff
Ruffle - Essex/Suffolk
Nelson - Westmorland
Worsfold - Sussex
Clover - Essex

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
There is a christening of
Isabella Kinley 26th September 1802 , Isle of Man
father Robert Kinley
mother Margaret Corlet
all I can think of is that Robert Kinley died as Isabella was a child , and Margaret married a Kewley ???...hence
Isabella Kinley / alias Kewley ...the age is right born 1802 ...having her 1st child Eliza at 20 / 21 ...I`ll see if I can find a marriage for Margaret Corlet / Kinley to a Kewley
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
try looking at the actual parish regs - the exact wording (pre standardised entries post 1849 marriage act)  depended on the parish clerk and  some of the entries can be quite confusing (useful to check adjacententries) - in this case I think  it means nothing more than she is now Kewley and was prior to marriage a Kinley - if she was a widow then should be indicated in the entry.

re illeg child - there was elizah bapt Lonan 1821-11-11 is this the child in question? - remember that the Manx knew the child by the father's name - this child's father was noted as John Cowin thus the child would be known as Elizah Cowin - the IGI gives the completely wrong indication as it follows the English rather than Manx custom naming the child after the mother. Well intentioned advice by those unfamiliar with Manx records can lead to confused trees.

have a look at www.manxnotebook.com

Isabella was I think d/o Robert Kinley + Margt Corlet
any thing with a Manx Connection