Author Topic: Bishop Kinkell - Christopher Urquhart  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bishop Kinkell - Christopher Urquhart
« on: Thursday 28 April 05 13:46 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who can help me find Christopher Urquhart please? He was my 3 x great grandfather. All the information I have comes from Scotlands People, but it comes to an abrupt halt when I reach Christopher!

I know he married Ann McKenzie on 23rd January, 1806 on the Black Isle Urquhart & Logie Wester, and they had seven children who were Christened on the following dates

17.2.1807 - Isabel
6.6.1809 - John
23.10.1811 - Roderick
13.9.1814 - Hector
28.8.1816 - Francis
16.10.1819 - Marion
31.1.1823 - Ann

The extract from Hector's Baptism states "Hector b.s. to Christopher Urquhart, Coppersmith, Bishop Kinkell, & to his wife Ann Mackenzie by the Rev. John McDonald.

Hector is my 2 x great grandfather, and by the 1841 census he is a baker in Aberdeen, probably having been moved from the Black Isle as part of the Highland Clearances. A year later in 1842 he married Margaret Campbell Graham and they had three daughters and a son before moving to South Shields, Co. Durham, England. Unfortunately their first son whom they had also called Hector died in South Shields (aged 4) in 1855.

Margaret Collie - born 1843, Aberdeen
Susan - born 1845, Aberdeen
Christiana - born 1849, Aberdeen
Hector - born 1851 Aberdeen, died South Shields 1855
Hugh - born 1855, South Shields, died South Shields, 1934
Hector - born South Shields 1858, died South Shields 1933
Jane - born South Shields 1860
Hannah Mary - born South Shields 1863, died South Shields 1889

When I did a google search with the names Roderick Urquhart and Kinkell I was amazed to find a connection in Australia where there had been an area named Kinkell (south west of Dartmoor) in "Pastoral Runs, Digby, Hotspur & Dartmoor Area South West Victoria, Australia ca 1837 - 1880. Did the family move to Australia because of the land clearances?

Please, please is there anyone who knows what happened to Christopher and Ann, or any of their children who seemed to have disappeared without trace? Or who Christopher's parents were?

Thank you all for reading this, and good luck with your family searches.
Patsy

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Kinkell - Christopher Urquhart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 05 19:31 BST (UK) »
not sure if this connects to your tree or not, but given that the names christopher,  hector, isabella, john, ann and marion are all listed i thought you might be interested...

1881 census.
Dwelling:   Bogbuie
   Census Place:   Logie Wester, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203413     GRO Ref    Volume 084    EnumDist 7    Page 1
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Hector URQUHART   M   65    M   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Farmer 18 Ac Ar
Isabella URQUHART   M   40    F   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
   Occ:   Farmer Wife
Annie URQUHART       14    F   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   Gen Serv Dom
Fanny URQUHART       12    F   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Occ:   Scholar
Marion URQUHART       10    F   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
Alexandrina URQUHART       8    F   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
John URQUHART       6    M   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
Isabella URQUHART       4    F   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
Christopher Farquhar URQUHART       9 m   M   Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
   Rel:   Son

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 19:45 BST (UK) »
one more thing, would these two be yours as well???

WALTER URQUHART 
  Male     
 Birth:  20 NOV 1824   
 Christening:  16 DEC 1824   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
  Father:  CHRISTOPHER URQUHART   
  Mother:  ANN MACKENZIE     

KENNETH URQUHART 
  Male     
 Birth:  01 SEP 1827   
 Christening:  29 NOV 1827   Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
  Father:  CHRISTOPHER URQUHART   
  Mother:  ANN MACKENZIE     

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 05 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

Thank you so much for the information, with all the same names repeated there must be some link, but just what I am not sure at the moment!

I know that family legend has it the family came from the Black Isle, and with the 1841 census in Aberdeen saying that Hector was born outside census county, and the 1891 census for South Shields giving his birth place at Rosshire, plus on his death in 1899 his age was 84 the nearest match to the Scottish records was Hector Urquhart christened 13th September, 1814. Now it would seem there is another Hector, born in the same area, but slightly later - if only we could be sure of the accuracy of ages on census returns etc!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the extra two Urquharts, Walter & Kenneth, definitely belong to the same family. I also searched the 1861 census yesterday and found another daughter for Hector Urquhart & Margaret Graham, an Isabella, born Aberdeen c1847. So three new Urquharts to my tree in one day is pretty good going.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to search the records for me, it is a real help. Good Luck with your own searches.
Best Wishes, Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline lbathgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 September 05 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thought this might be of interest...
re:
"The extract from Hector's Baptism states "Hector b.s. to Christopher Urquhart, Coppersmith, Bishop Kinkell, & to his wife Ann Mackenzie by the Rev. John McDonald."

go to:
http://www.antiqueprints.com/Prints/portraits-john-kay-2.html

for a picture of the Rev. John McDonald.

Best wishes
L Bathgate

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 September 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi L. Bathgate

Thank You very much for the information. I have just had a look at the website to view the Rev. John McDonald, and it is good to put a face to the name. He seems to have been a very interesting character starting a break away movement from the recognized church. To quote from a booklet produced by William G. Young in September 1984( a copy of which can be viewed at the Cremate Courthouse)

"Whatever the spiritual state of the congregation may have been in 1843
there is no doubt that the vast majority showed their loyalty to MacDonald's ecclesiastical principles. Some 1200 members and adherents left what MacDonald described as "a Christ-denying, God-dishonouring and soul-destroying church", and worshipped in the open air at the Ferintosh Burn until a new church had been erected."

A very pleasant and helpful lady at the Cremate Courthouse directed me towards a cabinet full of interesting information which can be searched.

Thank you for your help, and good hunting with your own searches.
Patsy

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I really did not spell CROMARTY as above - the spelling thing obviously does not know any better and changed it by the time it was 'posted'!!!!!!!!!

Patsy

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 06 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

After spending some time on the 1851 census, now on-line at Scotlands People, I have to report one step forward and many back!

I found my 2 x great grandfather Hector Urquhart (recorded as Heckt) and his wife (still under her maiden name of Margaret Graham) living in Ruthrieston, Old Machar with their four daughters, so that confirms they had not moved to England by 1851. Hector's occupation is recorded as a baker & Margaret has 'Domestic Occupations'!

Now for the problem - I also found the Hector Urquhart (the one with Christopher Urquhart & Ann McKenzie for parents) still living on the Black Isle along with his brothers & sisters Walter, Isabella, Marrion & Kenneth. So I think I can confirm that he is not my Hector unfortunately.

So where do I go from here? On the 1841 census my Hector is recorded as not being born in Aberdeen. On the 1851 census his birth place is Inverness. In 1861 (by which time the family lived in South Shields) his birth place is given as Aberdeen. For 1871 & 1881 is just states Scotland, and in 1891 it is recorded as Rosshire. He always maintained that he came from the Black Isle!!!!!!

Trying to find my Hector's birth record in Scotland is proving difficult and his age at various stages is not much of a guidance either although the majority point, towards c1815-6

1841 aged 20
1851 aged 35
1861 aged 45
1871 aged 55
1881 aged 65
1891 aged 76

and on his death certificate dated 11th April, 1899 he is 84 years old.

Please, any help to identify which Hector is mine would be most appreciated.

Best Wishes to you all.
Patsy

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
this might seem like a stupid question :-[ , but...

if you know that your hector died 11th April, 1899 - doesn't his death cert say who his parents were???