Author Topic: Susannah Whitney Cork Ireland  (Read 3493 times)

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susannah Whitney Cork Ireland
« on: Tuesday 07 June 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information about Susannah Whitney born circa 1783 Cork Ireland.   She married 10 March 1841 John Benson and died in London in 1849. Cause Suicide.  Her husband's occupation was horsehair manufacturer.   Her parents names were John Whitney and Ann Jappee/OR Jasse and her grandparents were Richard Whitney and Susannah Rickett.

Can anyone provide anymore information.   They had 7 children : Jane Elizabeth, Thomas Saville, John, Susan, Paul Whitney Mary Isabella and Charlotte.   Paul, and Susan were sent to Australia as convicts.   We have a fair bit of information but I wondered if there was anything on the parents and grandparents.

Lesley
Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Whitney Cork Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
are the children you mention those of Susannah and John Benson or Richard and Susannah ?

I'm also wondering about your dates......  Susannah born c1783 and married 1841, so aged 58 at the time

Do you have details of John's occupation from Susannah's marriage ?

The dates are very early, even for parish records so you would need to know the family religion and which Co. Cork parish your Whitney family lived in to check what records, if any, are available.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 13:05 BST (UK) »
Oops sorry Shane,  my mistake.   John Benson died in 1849 and Susannah died in 1841 Whitechapel London.  The first child born 1806, Jane Elizabeth, Thomas Saville 1808, John 1809, Susan 1811, Paul 1814, Mary 1818 and Charlotte 1823.  I have no marriage date at all.
Lesley

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
how were you able to work out Susannah's parents names ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 13:15 BST (UK) »
Pressed send then remembered that you asked about religion, first child is stated born St Annes Shandon Cork, is that a Catholic Church?  Paul Whitney (son) married in Church of England in Australia and it was noted he was Church of England on his death record.
Re your last question, I believe some other researcher located that.  Do you have something different?
Lesley

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
If you had sources for those details it would allow you to verify the details and give you a possible starting point for further research

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
....remembered that you asked about religion, first child is stated born St Annes Shandon Cork, is that a Catholic Church?  

St. Anne's Shandon is a civil parish - so it depends on the context of the details, since  some records give place of birth as a civil parish.  St. Anne's is also the name of a Church of Ireland parish. Records for this parish go back to the mid 1770s, and are available in the RCB Library in Dublin - but I dont think they are available online anywhere at the moment.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 02:39 BST (UK) »
Okay, thanks Shane.  As an afterthought I wondered if someone may be following the same lines on the parents and grandparents.  Worth a try anyway.  Lesley

Offline Glouc Man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 08:40 BST (UK) »

Have you seen the 'Benson Letters Book' by Judith MacLeod of Australia?
Benson (London), Budd (London), Tilbury (Surrey), Norman (Cambs), Tilbury (Surrey), Legg (Surrey), Darby (Devon), Martin, Attwood, Tovey, Turner, Farmer, Carroll, Lideard, Clark, Drinkwater (all Glos.)