Author Topic: Alexander Barron  (Read 17174 times)

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Barron
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Now a off shoot of this topic same Alexander though. We know his first wife was a lady named Martha. Last name might be either smith or Smitz (Spelling???) We know from US Census records 1900 that she was born in 1876 in Germany and immigrated to the US in 1884. Beyond that we don't know much. Any info anyone could share would be appriciated as it would open this line alittle as it's sort of at a blockade at the moment.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I hope your ancestors were not from the Islands because the Gaelic is used for place names and some of them are written in a way which is unpronounceable. This is because in Gaelic certain combinations of letters are pronounced differently. MH or BH together are sounded as V in most circumstances.

Gaelic names are only unpronounceable if you are a monoglot English speaker and imagine that all letters are always pronounced as in English, regardless of which language they are used for writing. If you learn French or German or Spanish you need to learn that some letters in those languages are used for different sounds from those used in English. Gaelic is the same; you just need to learn a few rules and the names are perfectly straightforward.

Place names all over Scotland, not just in the Highlands and Islands,  have their roots in Gaelic - for example Glasgow is originally Gaelic.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Scottish2, the link is:
www dot freebmd dot org dot uk

But each time I write it in the normal way it comes up in preview and when posted as that odd rootsweb URL ...

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that worked. Will check it out in a little bit doing a table with all the dates and info in it to share with Donna so we have all the right dates and places.

Offline bumper7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 March 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell,

Appreciate the scoop on Scotland's districts, etc., which I'm printing and saving to put with my map. My only experience with the language  is the music of Jean Redpath, which I love. At one time I had several records (remember L.P.s?) of hers and, I investigated the lyrics, some of the puzzling terms, so I could understand the stories in her beautiful songs. I also have a vintage recording of elderly Scottish women weavers recorded many years ago, not in a studio, but at their mill. They used to sing as they wove and the rhythm of the music served to coordinate their rhythm with the shuttles (?). They'd get through with a song and tell little stories about their lives. Fascinating stuff!

As for your forewarning about the genealogy addiction, you couldn't have been more accurate. Yesterday my husband came home and, instead of finding his dinner all ready, he found me sitting in front of the computer, amidst piles and piles of papers! If I don't temper my enthusiasm, I'll become a Barron again!

Donna 

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 March 06 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna

I not only have Jean Redpath tapes I had the privilige of meeting her a few times.As a bearded folky I was very involved with various traditional singers in my youth. I even was at the foot of the bill when Gerry Rafferty was singing with Billy Connelly as the Humblebums a lifetime ago.
If you like traditional and how it is handled now try Dick Gaughan. He has a voice like gravel but interprets vocally and instrumentally like no one else.
I was sitting listening to another group who do traditional songs beautifully 'Sileas' - ' Harpbreakers'  - (pronounced SHEELAS) Harp accompaniment is lovely! Some English  - some Gaelic words.
A previous poster said Gaelic was easy  MMMH!  I live in a a road where the name is longer than the road itself  -Clochoderick Avenue.
The first part comes from the Gaelic for Stone the second part seems to relate to King Ridderick of Strathclyde so long ago there almost no written records.
Your comment about weavers is most appropriate. My village was a weaving village in the days of home based, hand looms.
Don't worry about the addiction!
Some of our playground monitors are addicts of 20 years standing (or should that be sitting?)

Russell

1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline bumper7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 March 06 23:45 GMT (UK) »
What a privilege for you to have met Jean Redpath! Of course she has a magnificent voice (so often she's acapella and her music still misses nothing) but, she's a true stylist and has that rare ability to draw one in. I can never listen to her as background music! I've only seen her through occasional television broadcasts (years ago) of Garrisson Keiller's "Prairie Home Companion" (routinely a radio broadcast). She was a fairly regular guest. The great thing about her gift is she can sing a spiritual song that will make you weep, and a "bawdy" song that will make you blush....and it's all ok in her hands (pipes?).

I will jot down your recommendations on other Scottish folk artists...am not familiar with them but, that particular music needs to be sought out.

Donna

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 April 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information on an Alexander Barron b. 1853 in Scotland (don't know where, but likely Glasgow region) who married in 1903 a Janet Low b. 17 Mar 1867 Grangemouth, Scotland.

Only other data I have is his death 1911 in Scotland, and his widow Janet travelled to NZ to be with son Robert b. 1910.

Is there a 1911 Census for Scotland likely to be available anytime soon? That would be a big help :D

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, e.g. should I start a new Post?  ???
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 April 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi John

It's normally better to start a new post with new names so that you have a better chance of people seeing it and responding  :)

Just a comment for now. Have you viewed Alexander and Janet's marriage cert on line at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk or Alexander's death cert? Both would include details on his parents' full names which would help you in finding him in earlier censuses with his family.

Monica

Added: The 1911 census for Scotland, unlike the English Census which is available now, will not be released until April 1911 unfortunately  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk