Author Topic: Which Thomas LAWN married Jane JOHNSON on St Valentine's Day in 1855 in Saxton?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Which Thomas LAWN married Jane JOHNSON on St Valentine's Day in 1855 in Saxton?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Evie,
Have spent a bit of time with those IGI batches (not entirely reliable, I know) and all the Census pages, and think I have traced back this LAWN line to a William LAUN (sic), who was the father of a William LAWN baptised in the village in 1726.
However, without sending away for her birth certificate, I'm not exactly clear who the father of Kate LAWN was.  She appears in the 1901 Census with her grandmother Jane (nee JOHNSON), aged 3.  Her birth registration was December quarter 1897 in the Tadcaster district.  Her grandmother had two sons, Charles and Thomas, but the Thomas in the household in 1901 is not given definitely as Kate's father.  Is there anyone privy to the Saxton PR's who could clear this little matter up - I've probably overlooked an obvious clue...
keith  (N.B. You did say ask for more help if I needed it!)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: Which Thomas LAWN married Jane JOHNSON on St Valentine's Day in 1855 in Saxton?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I don't have access to Saxton PR's but I will see if i can work anything out for you for Kate.

evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
You're most kind, Evie...!
keith
...if nothing becomes obvious, I'll bite the bullet and shell out £9-25p for Kate LAWN's birth certificate.

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Not really looked into Charles yet but had a fiddle about with the 1911 free index and it seems that Kate is there again with Jane, Tom and Nancy. Put keywords married in for Tom and Nancy, nothing came up. Put single in and both Tom and Nancy show. I wonder if Kate is Nancy's illegitimate child. Were there any other children belonging to Jane at all? What do you think?

evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Evie,
You're really being most diligent on my behalf here -  and great minds thinking alike and all that - I suddenly realised I had 10 credits left on an old FindMyPast splurge.  So I got the transcript of the 1911 Census up, and it is just as you say, with the 79-year-old grandmother Jane head of the family to her 41-year-old son Tom and her 40-year-old daughter Nancy.  So, 13-year-old Kate could well be Nancy's daughter; or again, there could be the off-chance that she's Tom's son.  I think I'm going to have to send for that certificate after all.
Tom LAWN's occupation is estate woodman, and there's another grandson called Albert BAILEY in the household, aged 21; so Jane the matriarch seems to be harbouring various remnants of her family even in her old age.  It appears that her own husband Thomas LAWN died some time in the 1870's, so she's held things together well for the best part of 35 years on her own...
keith

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 June 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I have seen evidence that Kate was the illegitimate daughter of Nancy from a popular site ;) PM sent.

evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 June 11 10:41 BST (UK) »
Evie,
You've been a wonderful help to me on here, and nice to finish with a genuine piece of family scandal!  Have PM-ed you also...
keith

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 June 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

You are very welcome :)

evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks