Author Topic: REA/RAE in Ayrshire, 16th to 17th Century  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Gary Rea

• I have lost interest in my Family History - sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
REA/RAE in Ayrshire, 16th to 17th Century
« on: Thursday 28 April 05 15:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any data on REA/RAE families that lived in Ayrshire during the 1500s and 1600s. Supposedly, Ayrshire was among the areas of the lowlands that Reas may have come to Ulster from during the Plantation Period of the 1600s, yet, I found little or no data on Rea or Rae families in Ayrshire during this period in the General Register. If someone could suggest some alternate sources it would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Offline slogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: REA/RAE in Ayrshire, 16th to 17th Century
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,
prob not a lot of use as it is late 1800`s but my maternal grandmother was AGNES RAE JOHNSTONE. I have just started on her line and so far haven`t even established where this Rae middle name comes from but if i come up with anything will let u know, may take me years to get back that far of course ... lol.

Discovered that there are some RAE hills in i think it was Kirkubrightshire and lots of Johnstones too but turned out to be the wrong one .. she is Ayshire. Got sidetracked into wondering why the hills were called that .. as is often the case with me .. useless info that interests me .. origin of place names .. roots of words etc. Good luck with your search

I`m curious ... what was the "plantation period"?

Offline Gary Rea

• I have lost interest in my Family History - sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: REA/RAE in Ayrshire, 16th to 17th Century
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 08:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not even sure which county in Scotland my Reas came from, Slogger. I'm just going by information I've found that suggests Hugh Rea and James Rea of County Down, Northern Ireland (who are both found on the Hamilton Estate rent rolls in 1681 and 1688) may have come from anywhere in Aryshire, Renfrewshire, Wigtownshire, Dumfriesshire or Kirkcudbright. So, I'm researching all these areas, plus others where I found Rea/Rae families living in the 17th century. Currently, I believe my line emmigrated to County Down sometime prior to 1631, as there was a William, James and Gilbert Rea found on the 1631 muster roll for County Down, which was taken in Bangor.

Anyway, the "Plantation Period" was the 1600s, when James Hamilton and other wealthy Scots landowners bought estates in Northern Ireland and then recruited men from the lowlands of Scotland and from England to occupy and farm these lands. The idea was to "plant" loyal subjects of King James I in Northern Ireland in order to pacify the Irish and to subjugate them, hence the term "Plantation." We can see how well that's turned out. Oddly enough, the same term was used in the southern United States to describe the estates founded by Scots-Irish immigrants of the 18th century, though the circumstances were entirely different.

Gary