Author Topic: George Richards & Elizabeth Hartop  (Read 27417 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Richards & Elizabeth Hartop
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 June 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
David; the Beds parish poor law papers index also has in 1827 a George Richards senior removed from Potton to Cardington. Is he the father of George baptised at Cardington 20 Sept 1795.

There is also an Examination entry for George Richards at Bedford St Paul in 1789
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 June 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
That's how I read it John. The Settlement Examination might prove illuminating

Helen, more pieces of the jigsaw are now falling into place.

In addition to the illegitimate William, Judith also baptised Henry Richards on the same day in Potton, who also may have subsequently taken the Tear name. He may have been the Henry Tear aged 25 buried at Potton on 8 Mar 1837

But of more interest is the illegitimate Sarah Richards baptised on 12 Feb 1809 at Potton, daughter of ........ Cordelia!  Thus firmly linking Cordelia baptised in Bedford and her presence in Potton with the rest of the Richards family.

The more I see of the children of George and Elizabeth the more convinced I am that Cople, Cardington, Bedford and Potton are the same couple.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at the Hartop family living in Cardington in 1782, but haven't come up with anything concrete. The family was headed by Essex Hartop, age 43, born Keysoe (a mile up the road from Bolnhurst where Elizabeth, illegitimate daughter of Mary Hartop, was baptised.

Essex and his wife Elizabeth Urine (he really was taking the ....) née Billen married in Cardington on 29 March 1763, with children baptised in March 1764, Jul 1765, Sep 1766 and May 1772. It doesn't look as though Elizabeth Hartop could have been Essex's daughter. But  Mary Hartop, mother of the Elizabeth baptised in Bolnhurst, may have been baptised at Keysoe on 29 March 1741 - it's a member submission on the IGI so needs to be checked.  Unfortunately Keysoe parish register appears to be deficient c1740. Mary died in 1776, and I can find no subsequent trace of Elizabeth. But IF Essex and Mary were siblings then could Elizabeth have gone to stay with her uncle, rather than live with her stepfather and his new wife, after the death of her mother?

I must confess I was a bit sniffy to start with about Elizabeth being the one baptised in Bolnhurst, but I'm warming to the idea now!

As John says, what was Elizabeth's parish of residence on her marriage?

David

Later
Essex Hartop age 77 was buried at Cardington on 9 Feb 1813
There was also an Essick Hartop living in Keysoe in the 1803 Muster List, unmarried Class 1 ie aged between 17 and 30. He was baptised in Keysoe on 3 Oct 1779, son of Thomas & Sarah. Not sure what he's got to do with the price of bananas!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 June 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
There is also an Examination entry for George Richards at Bedford St Paul in 1789

A2A has the examination as follows

"Geo. Richards, wheelwright. Born Cople, s. of Geo., late of same. Served his apprenticeship with Sam. Pierton of Cardington, wheelwright. Married 6 months before to Eliz. Hartrop, St. Peters, and is now living in St. Pauls. [Marked "N"] 1789"

And St Pauls is where Cordelia was baptised in 1789

That seems to have sorted out the Richards. Wish the Hartops were as simple.

David

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 June 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
Cheers!! Thanks very much for all that info, that really has sorted out the problem of the Richards.
I did wonder why it looked like Elizabeth died in Potton and George died back in Cardington again, but the removal order would explain that.
Thanks again
Helen

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 June 11 07:38 BST (UK) »
There is a Keysoe PR baptism of Mary, daughter of Thomas & Sarah Hartop (or Hartupp), farmer on 29 Mar 1741 & she could be the one who married Francis Elms at Bolnhurst. Thomas & Sarah were baptising children there between 1735 - 1750 & Thomas is buried 7 Feb 1780. I cannot find the marriage as there are no entries 1732 - 1734 in the reqister. 

There is a subsequent Thomas who first married Judith Flanders (age 20) on 18 Feb 1760; & when she died (buried 3 May 1754) Thomas married Sarah Sabey at Bolnhurst on 2 Oct 1771. These had son 'Esseck' baptised on 3 Oct 1779. These also had a daughter Mary baptised 3 Apr 1774 but I think she was the spinster buried at Keysoe on 9 Aug 1804.

I cannot find the baptism of this subsequent Thomas but suspect he is son of the first Thomas & Sarah. Again there are no register entries for 1732-1734. However a Bolnhurst baptism on 7 May 1757 is of John Hartop, the supposed son of Thomas Hartop of Keysoe Row and Mary Fenham of this parish, spinster. 

John
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 June 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
There are 3 probate records (Admons) at Beds Archives for Thomas Hartop of Keysoe.

1753/14 husbandman - he's most likely the Thomas Hartop, senior buried 1 Jan 1752, husband of Ellen

1757/9 he's the one buried 17 Mar 1757, son of the above, husband of Ellen Sarah & father of the below & Essex (found in Cardington in 1782) & Mary (who married Francis Elms)

1780/5 farmer - he's the one buried 7 Feb 1780 listed as farmer & churchwarden - likely the one who married Sarah Sabey 

It'd be well worth taking a look at these.

Clement - Croydon

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 June 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
As you know John, I'm partial to the Beds Sabeys! I have Sarah Sabey and Thomas Hartopp + their kids in my tree. The penny hadn't dropped yesterday that I had some Hartops! Sarah was an unbaptised daughter of John Sabey, a non conformist. Fortunately he left a will naming his son in law Thomas Hartopp and daughter Sarah Hartopp  - will found the last time we were at BLARS together

I think Thomas, who married firstly in 1760, was probably born late 1730s and was probably the brother of Essex who pitched up in Cardington. And Thomas named his son Esseck for his brother. At least that's my take on the situation! The wills might confirm this.

David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 June 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
The 31 Aug 1788 St Peter's Bedford marriage has that George Richards was from Cople & Elizabeth Hartop must have been otp.  However it was by licence; & the licence index dated 30 Aug 1788 confirms George Richards was from Cople, he was age 21+ & a wheelwright and that Elizabeth Hartop was of St Peter'. Surety was given by William Coombs, limemaker of Bedford

At Keysoe, 18 Feb 1760 Thomas Hartupp farmer of Keysoe married Judith Flanders age 20 by licence with parent's consent. On the same day John Coombs, widower of Bedford St Paul's married Sarah Hartupp of Keysoe, spinster by licence. However these marriages are not in the licence index. 

It seems that Thomas & Sarah are siblings; Sarah baptised on 20 Feb 1736 at Keysoe, daughter of Thomas & Sarah Hartop.

In Bedford St Paul's baptisms on 23 Apr 1765 is William Coombs son of John & Sarah Coombs. They also baptised daughter Ann on 6 Feb 1763 where John's occupation is lime burner.

So it is pointing to the Elizabeth Hartop of Bolnhurst - although that has not been said.

John - more later
Clement - Croydon