Author Topic: John Longden sculptor  (Read 7252 times)

Offline sportingstatues

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Longden sculptor
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 February 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Did either of you have any success in finding a pic of the Bishopbrioggs statue - if so, I'd be very interested to see it

Offline spanton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 February 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I got very warm and sent emails to a local paper and the Bishopbriggs sports centre. The latter confirmed they had this statue in store and i was welcome to come in and photograph it anytime. As i am in Manchester this was not practical and i did email a couple of times asking very politely if anyone could take a picture for me. Alas i received no relpies and reached a dead end. I would love to see a photo of the statue and see it on display somewhere.
Copies below of some of the emails I sent.
First one
Good morning.
I am on the trail of the sculpture John LONGDEN born 1882 in my local area Ashton Under Lyne, Lancs.
He moved to Clydebank and was a sculptor in the 1920's.
One of his sculptures of a runner was in Manchester 1960-1969 but it got stolen.
I am trying to track down some photos of the statue and have found it a similar statue by John was reported in your local paper.

Wed 2nd Dec 2009
http://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/news/local-headlines/liddell_riddle_is_solved_1_362386

There was another article on 17th Nov 2009
http://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/news/local-headlines/eric_liddell_statue_found_in_bishopbriggs_1_362348

The links on the web only has text.
I am really hoping to find some photos of this statue as I would like to get a replica made for our local area.

Please let me know if you have any photos of The Runner statue that was at Bishopbriggs Sports Centre.
Thank you in advance

Second one
For the attention of the Manager    leisuredrome[replace with 'at' sign]eastdunbarton.gov.uk

I am researching the story of John LONGDEN who was born in my local town Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire 1883.
He eventually moved to Clydebank and was a sculptor. One of his works was The Runner and this was presented to Manchester City Council in 1960 but stolen in 1968.
I am trying to get a copy made for his home town but i have only one photo.
It now appears that John LONGDEN made other statues of Runners and one used to be on the canopy of the Bishopbriggs Sports Centre and another  copy in the public library.
I have found a newspaper report from the Kirkintilloch Herald 17th Nov 2009 that mentions the statue is locked away in a cupboard at the leisure centre.
See
http://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/news/local-headlines/eric_liddell_statue_found_in_bishopbriggs_1_362348
A later article mentions it is not Eric Liddell but another runner.

It would be absolutely brilliant if I could get some photos of this statue from different angles so we are able to get a good replica made and John LONGDEN can be recognised in his place of birth (especially leading up to Olympics 2012)
It would also be worth finding out if anyone has any plans to put it back on display in Clydebank.

I have been working on this for some time now and I would really appreciate some photos. (and possibly any contact for who will decide on the fate of this statue)
You could email them as attachments if that is easier.
I could mention anyone in press releases etc.
I thank you in advance for your time in reading this and look forward to hearing from you

Offline sportingstatues

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 February 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I'll let you know if and when I get anywhere. Up in Glasgow in a few weeks so may try to pop up to Bishopbriggs if I get time

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 March 12 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but I seem to remember a statue called "The Runner" in Clydebank library,could they help you at all. I should warn you not to hold your breath. It took me over six months to get the ownership of a lair in Kilbowie cemetery verified by the council

Offline sportingstatues

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 March 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
See www.sportingstatues.com for some pics of the Bishopbriggs statue - I'll be adding a little more detail in the next few days

Offline spanton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 March 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Look forward to hearing more.
Great news you got some photos. Love the website by the way.

Offline jagen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 September 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi my great grandfather is John Longden. I have older relatives (two generations older) who know a lot more about him and could tell you practically anything you need to know. Give me a list of questions and I'll ask my grandmother. The only knowledge I have off the top of my head is that the statue is now in storage and has not been melted down. More than willing to help.
Jagen123

Offline sportingstatues

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 September 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
That sounds great :-)

Things I'd like to know...
i) Who paid for each of the statues to be cast?
ii) Am I right in thinking that there was one cast in bronze for Manchester, one cast in Sindal for Bishopriggs and one plaster copy in Clydebank Library - were there any more?
iii) the Manchester statue has a plaque on the plinth - do you know what it said?
iv) Did either the Bishoprigg's or Clydebank statues have a plaque or plinth whilst on public display?
v) Can you give me an approximate date of the theft of the Manchester statue (all I have is 1968)

cheers
Chris

Offline spanton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 September 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting. I would really like to know if the runner was based upon a real runner.
If so do you know his name? :)