Author Topic: MAHER family of Bullock, Dalkey  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Dubnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MAHER family of Bullock, Dalkey
« on: Thursday 09 June 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information about John Maher b. c 1822 who lived in the cottages at Bullock Harbour, Dalkey.  He had a son Christoper born in the early 1850's and lived in Dalkey with his wife and four sons.  John Maher had a brother James Maher who also lived in this area.  Some of the surnames linked to the family are: O'Keeffe, Tallant, McDonald and Stapleton.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone connected with this family.

Offline Dubnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MAHER family of Bullock, Dalkey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information about John Maher b. c 1822 who lived in the cottages at Bullock Harbour, Dalkey.  He had a son Christoper born in the early 1850's and lived in Dalkey with his wife and four sons.  John Maher had a brother James Maher who also lived in this area.  Some of the surnames linked to the family are: O'Keeffe, Tallant, McDonald and Stapleton.  I'm interested in hearing from anyone connected with this family.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
You're probably a bit too early for most sources since Christoper was born before the start of full civil records in 1864. Have you checked out parish records for the area ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline anchor4208

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dubnut,
The James Maher you referred to is my GGG Grandfather, so I guess we're distantly related!  I was aware that James had a contemporary named John, but I wasn't sure how they were related.  In fact, I know nothing about John apart from where he is buried (Deansgrange). However, I'd be delighted to share the bits I know about my side of the Mahers from later on in the 19th century, as well as little bits I've picked up about the Tallants and Stapletons.
Best wishes cousin,
Stephen

P.M. to follow
Ruth/Routh/Roth
Glendon
Maher
Mahony/Mahoney
Brady
Treacy/Tracey
Hanna
Duff

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
note that Dubnut will need one more post to have full access to the PM system - three are required. See :  www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dublin Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Dubnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
I have checked the church registers in the National library but couldn't find him.  The 1901/1911 census states he was born in Co Dublin so maybe I missed the entry.  Need to go back and take another look.

Just to let you all know, Stephen sent me a PM and we are sure we are descended from two brothers.  Both of us are gathering the same information, so now we have to work together.  Discovered today that my great-aunt (not a Maher) was a witness at the marriage of one of his ancestors. 

If there is anyone else who has an interest in this family, please get in touch.
Best wishes
Doreen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Bullock is in the civil parish of Monkstown - which is one of the parishes covered by RC parish of Kingstown/Dún Laoghaire.  Records go back to the mid 1760s on films Pos. 9071 to 9073.

In a Catholic directory of 1838 the parish is referred to as Kingstown and Cabinteely, so covered quite a wide area. At that time the adjoining RC parishes listed are Booterstown/Dundrum to the north, Bray to the south, and Sandyford to the west.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Don Rorke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Hi not sure how I can help but both those names Tallant and Stapleton (at pilot cottages bullock) are in the 1901 census for being Ship Pilots, I believe the Lighthouse Commission in Dun Loaghaire might have details, or the Maritime Musuem in Dun Loaghaire will. Generally to become a Ships Pilot was quiet difficult, and appears to be kept from Father to son, cause a person needed to nominated for the job. By the way I from the James Warren side of the Pilots, hope this helps and good luck :)

PS Also Bullock harbour was used as a training ground for Ship Pilots, as well as one of the deepest harbour in south co Dublin, before Dun Loaghaire and Howth were built :)

Offline dublin-nellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 April 14 21:34 BST (UK) »

Hello Dubnut

My family research has lead me to James Maher, Bulluck Harbour.  I would appreciate if you would get in touch so we can check if we are following the same James Maher.

Thank you