Author Topic: * completed*BALLYWALTER *Parish Records *MCMAIL  (Read 11511 times)

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
* completed*BALLYWALTER *Parish Records *MCMAIL
« on: Friday 10 June 11 11:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my McMail family  who lived in Ballywalter when William McMail and Rachel Brown on 9/10/1851 as on the IGI. I was told by a distant relative they married at the 2nd Presbytarian Church but this is not verified and I also understand that William is recorded in the Griffiths Valuations. William and Rachel had 3 children that I am sure of Mary Eliza b1853, William b1856 and Kate Ann b1860 because by 1880 all 3 were living in Dearham Cumbria with their Aunt Ann McMail. [Kate Ann is my 2xgt grandmother]. I have no other information about Willian & Rachel but I am pretty sure they didn't come to England  Over the years other information I have found is that William Snr's father was John McMail and he had other children one of which was Ann born 1828 who came to England with her neices and nephew. Again I have been told there were 2 other sisters Eliza and Celene but again I have never been able to verify the information. McMail is a very uncommon name and I am hoping there are some parish records that verify any of the above or give any new information.  I keep hoing to be able to visit Ireland and do some research but as yet this has not been possible so would appreciate any help you can give me
Kind regards
Linda
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BALLYWALTER *Parish Records *MCMAIL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
Linda,
         I can confirm that William McMail and Rachel Brown married in Ballywalter 2nd Presbyterian Church on 9 Oct 1851.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for the children in 1871 English census?
Civil registration of deaths in Ireland started in 1864 and there are no McMail death so I wonder if parents died before 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Discovered why so few entries in civil index- apparently McIlmail, etc. are variations-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McHMcIlv.htm

The marriage certificate for William and Rachel should give place they were living as well as fathers' names and occupations. The above link shows Williams father as John. There's also a marriage for an Eliza there who might be William's sister.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Rachhel's father was William Brown.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
:) I assume you realise I am new to this site and I am amazed by the speed and quality of replies. I can't believe I have been researching for years and have only just found this site. Anyway Thank you for the confirmation of William & Rachel McMail's marriage.
I have looked for the children on the 1871 census but didn't find anything so thought  it most likely that they were still in Ireland. However now I know they aren't on the Irish census I will have another look and do more much digging as not only can the name be spelt many ways but I think the accent has caused difficulty and I have had plenty of problems finding them on later census.

The story handed down the family is that William & Rachel were coming to England with their family but the boat sank near the coast and the children and Aunt survived but not the parents. I have nothing to support this story and to a large extent didn't really think It was true. As the parents aren't about in Ireland maybe I am going to have to review my thoughts
 I haven't done much research in Ireland and hadn't thought the marriage certs were available for 1951 but reading your reply it looks I have it wrong. Where would I find the info on the marriage of the Eliza?

Just got the last posting - can you tell me where you got Rachel father's name from

Thank you both of you - I am very impressed with the help given
Linda
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
I have looked for the children on the 1871 census but didn't find anything so thought  it most likely that they were still in Ireland. However now I know they aren't on the Irish census I will have another look and do more much digging as not only can the name be spelt many ways but I think the accent has caused difficulty and I have had plenty of problems finding them on later census.
Irish census records weren't mentioned. The 1871 census does not survive- first complete census for Ireland is 1901.

See here for details included on Irish marriage certificate, how to order them, etc.-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433042.0.html

Rachel Brown's father listed here-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BrownLR.htm

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 June 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you again. I know what I am doing with the English research and it is a bit like being back at the beginning with my Irish line. But I will learn
Kind regards
Linda

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 June 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Linda,
       I have a record of an Elizabeth McMail whose father was John. She married Robert Boyle (father James Boyle) in Ballywalter 2nd Presbyterian Church on 4 May 1862.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim