Author Topic: Baptism in Barnsley Look Up Please  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baptism in Barnsley Look Up Please
« on: Friday 10 June 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
Tom Smart married Emily Chappell in 1873 and they had three children in fairly quick succession; Marion Elizabeth (1873), Herbert Bishop (1875) and Ella (1877) with their births registered in Leeds and Hunslet.

In the 1881 census, Tom was living in Bootle and Emily was in Barnsley with her mother, brother and four children - the other being Florence, born and birth registered (Dec quarter) in Barnsley, in 1880.

There is no doubt that Tom and Emily separated as Emily then goes on to live with John Swallow and has a further seven children with him between 1881 and 1892. John Swallow and Emily marry in 1900, a marriage which was probably bigamous on Emily's part.

John Swallow and Emily's first child, given the name William Swallow Smart, was born in 1882 so there were only two years between Florence and William.

I doubt if Thomas Smart was Florence's father and it may not even have been John Swallow.

Can anyone find a baptism please. If not, it is the expense of a birth certificate.

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in Barnsley Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found this baptism on familysearch.

Florence Smart 3 June 1890 at St. Mary the Virgin,Barnsley, Yorkshire. Parents Thomas Smart and Emily.

Do you think the date could have been transcribed wrong and this is your Florence, as I can't find another family to fit this data?

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Claire.

I had looked at familysearch but only for 1880 to 1884. This is the right Florence so she must have been baptised 10 years after she was born.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
The baptism at St Peter's Barnsley is definitely 3 June 1890, however it does say father deceased. Abode is 46 Tune Street.

Also Ann Swallow daughter of John and Emily was baptised on the same day, same address, father's occ: miner.

Pinetree

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look this up, Pinetree, and I apologise for taking so long to respond but I have hardly been at home lately.

The father, Thomas Smart, was not deceased but I presume this was the easy way out of having another child baptised at the same time with a different father.

May I please ask for confirmation of the Church as familysearch says St Mary's not St Peter's? Not that familysearch gets things wrong, of course!

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Mmm I'm officially confused about the church  ???,

The entry is listed under the Registers for St Mary's but at the top of the page where the baptism appears it is pre-printed with "Baptisms solomized in the parish of" - parish has been struck out and replaced with district of St Peter, Barnsley.

When I look at the baptism register for St Peter's, which starts in 1893 a note has been written at the top "NOTE That 90 baptisms for the year 1893 had been already entered in the register of St Mary's, Barnsley".

So I think the baptism may actually have taken place at St Peter's but was entered in St Mary's register.

I note that The Church Of St Peter The Apostle & St John The Baptist is very close to Tune Street.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 11 08:04 BST (UK) »
I agree with you and the baptisms were most probably at St Peter's.

Thank you once again.