Author Topic: Hannah grabham  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Nicola

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hannah grabham
« on: Thursday 28 April 05 19:26 BST (UK) »
 :( have been trying to find info on Hannah Grabham c1855 Devon Yarcombe. This may be her birth name or married name, not sure. All i have on her is in the 1891 census, recorded as Niece to Eli  Northam. Did they have children? Were they Related? Was she or Eli married  to others. Please help

Regards

Nicola ::)
Northam, Billing(s), Trickey, Sprague, Woodbury, Hallett, Pike, Stamp, Hart All Devon Somerset area.
 Hastie, Tait, Clark, Bryson, Edminson, Burgon,  Dickson, Adamson, Hendry, JeffreyAll Berwick area.
Archer, Purdy, Pitts, Grooms, Lomax, Smith, Poulton, Luddington, Daniels, Atkinson all Tottenham area

Offline linnet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah grabham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 05 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi - hope this helps

She appears on 1881 census at Mountfancy, Staple Fitzpaine, Somerset as follows:
Thomas Grabham Head Married 33 Yarcombe Devon Gamekeeper
Anna Grabham Wife married 27 Yarcombe Devon Gamekeepers wife
Fanny Grabham Daughter 11 Membury Devon, Scholar
Flora Grabham Daughter 8 Otterford Devon Scholar

Eli Northam appears at Little Down, Yarcombe
Eli Northam Head married 43 Yarcombe, Agricultural Labourer
Sarah Northam Wife married 39 Yarcombe, Labourers wife
Mary Northam daughter unmarried 23 Yarcombe, labourers daughter
Harry Pike Visitor. unmarried, 21, Upottery, Devon,

Regards

Linnet

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 05 20:46 BST (UK) »
If the 1881 census is the same Anna/Hannah Grabham, then she would have to be in two places at once on the 1891 census. Once with Eli and once with her husband Thomas in Somerset
1891 census Pitminster  Somerset 
Grabham, Anna abt 1852 Yarcombe, Devon  Wife
Grabham, Thomas abt 1846 Yarcombe, Devon  Head
Grabham, Sarah A abt 1867 Membury, Devon Daughter
Anna is with her husband on all censuses 1871-1901 (their daughter Sarah is with the family, plus daughter Fanny on the 1871 census, but not with the family on 1881 census) . Anna's name is spelt Anna on all censuses 1871-1901.
Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nicola

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Quite confused now.

I also have Eli Northam living with, wife, sarah Northam and daughter Mary in the 1881 census. Mary went on to marry harry Pike, the lodger. In the 1891 census i have Eli living with hannah grabham. An Eli Northam married a hannah Grabham in 1896. On the 1901 census i  have Eli ,Annie and Baby Minnie.

Were there 2 Eli Northams?

Any more help???????? Please

Northam, Billing(s), Trickey, Sprague, Woodbury, Hallett, Pike, Stamp, Hart All Devon Somerset area.
 Hastie, Tait, Clark, Bryson, Edminson, Burgon,  Dickson, Adamson, Hendry, JeffreyAll Berwick area.
Archer, Purdy, Pitts, Grooms, Lomax, Smith, Poulton, Luddington, Daniels, Atkinson all Tottenham area

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 05 08:19 BST (UK) »
Well strictly speaking there were two Eli Northams. The second was born in 1883 in Yarcombe the son of James Northam. That family moved to Wales and Eli junior married in Pontypridd in 1908.

Anna Grabham the wife of Thomas Grabham is consistently with her husband and family on the 1871 through to the 1901 census. So she cannot be the same Hannah Grabham with Eli on the 1891 census who he later marries. Have you purchased their marriage certificate because that would give you details of her father and help you place her on an earlier census?

How many times did Eli marry? I have found three
1870 to Sarah A. Nills in Chard
1896 Anna Grabham in Axminster
1907 possibly Grace Lock in Honiton.

Yet on the 1871 census Eli (or his wife) have a daughter born 1857 Mary Northam? So was the marriage to Sarah a very late marriage or was Eli married before? Do you have this marriage certificate as it should say whether Eli was a bachelor or a widower. Sarah would have been very young to have been Mary's mother 15/16. Do you have Eli on a census before 1871?

Hannah Grabham's age seems a moveable feast.
On the 1891 census her birth would be circa 1855
1901 census circa 1866
And on her death in Honiton in 1906 circa 1860
What was her age on marriage?

On the 1891 census Hannah's relationship to Eli was given as 'niece'. She could not have married him if she was his niece by blood, so she would have to be either Sarah's niece or a previous wife's niece. Even so to marry his dead wife's niece was actually prohibited legally until 1931 and of course to marry a niece by blood is still prohibited.

On the 1881 census the only female Grabham either Hannah/Anna/ Ann(ie) within the age range and born Yarcombe is Annie born about 1866 and with her parents in Upottery

RG12 3133 folio 71 Woodcott, Upottery, Devon
Abraham Grabham abt 1843  Yarcombe, Devon, Head Married Agricultural labourer
Emily Grabham abt 1849  Cotleigh, Devon, Wife Married Charwoman
Annie Grabham abt 1866  Yarcombe, Devon,  Daughter   Farm Servant
Bessie Grabham abt 1872  Upottery, Devon,  Daughter  Scholar
Abraham J. Grabham abt 1880  Upottery, Devon, Son 
Henry J. Ware abt 1872  Upottery, Devon, Step Son  Scholar

On the 1871 census however this family's entry is

18871 census RG11 2040 folio 69 Woodcott Cottage Upottery  Devon   
Abraham Grabham 1843  Yarcombe, Devon, England Head Married Ag lab
Hannah Grabham 1843  Bradford, Somerset, Wife Married
William Grabham 1864  Yarcombe, Devon, Son   
Bridget A Grabham 1866  Yarcombe, Devon, Daughter
Emma J Grabham 1869  Yarcombe, Devon, Daughter

Though I can find on FreeBMD Abraham's later marriage in 1879 in Honiton to Emily Ware I cannot find his previous marriage to Hannah. I cannot find in FreeBMD (an incomplete index) any marriage or death of a Bridget Grabham, so it is possible she dropped the use of Bridget after her mother's death and was known as Hannah/Ann(ie). The fact that she was living in Upottery in 1871 and 1881 might also be consistent with her giving this as her birth place on the 1901 census.

On the face of it since Eli Northam's wife Sarah Ann Nills was born in Yarcombe circa 1840 there seems no obvious connection to Hannah Grabham, the wife of Abraham born circa 1843 in Bradford Somerset.

Without knowing the name of Hannah Grabham's father on the 1896 marriage certificate it is impossible to say whether (Bridget) Annie is a potential candidate or not.
Regards
Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hesione

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 11:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Nicola

Why are you interested in Hannah Grabham?  Are you a descendant?   I am a descendant of the Grabham family and have been doing a one-name study on it for some years and have collected a lot of information.  If Hannah is Bridget Annie, she is a cousin of mine and I have information on several generations of her ancestors.

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam. Please use secure personal message system to share email addresses and personal information
Please contact me if I can help you (this offer is open to anyone interested in the Grabham family).

Regards

Sara White

Offline Ana Collingridge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 October 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
I am the great-great granddaughter of Hannah Grabham and Abraham Grabham who lived at Woodcott, Upottery. Be interested in hearing from anyone who has traced Hannah's ancestral line, back from her birth in Bradford, Somerset about 1843. Many thanks