Author Topic: Clarence GOYMOUR of Worlingworth  (Read 1093 times)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Clarence GOYMOUR of Worlingworth
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
While I was searching the Worlingworth parish register today for another rootschatter, I found the following paragraph which I thought might be of interest to someone researching this family.

Clarence Goymour left Worlingworth on 5 April 1830 at the age of 19 years with 5/- in his pocket, to go to Gravesend to sail on board an Indiaman, with William Newson, Amos Allen, John Bridges and William Pettit (as recorded in the Worlingworth Committee Accounts Book 1806-36).  He seems to have arrived in East India safely, and spent about 30 years in Singapore.  For, his tombstone under the yew tree opposite the porch in south side of churchyard, states the he was "late of Singapore in East India", and after "an eventful life, his remains are interred in this his native parish".  He died aged 52, not 53 at stated in Register and on stone (for he was born August 1811) and was buried under the old yew by Mr Frederic French the Rector, on 22 June 1863.  It would be interesting to know something about his "eventful life" out in Singapore!  His tombstone records that "he was much respected"!

William Donnan
Rector of Worlingworth
14th June 1966