Author Topic: HANSARD and FARRELL in Portarlington  (Read 5844 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
HANSARD and FARRELL in Portarlington
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
In 1818 a Thomas HANSARD of London, England leaves the house in Portarlington to his sister, Mary FARRELL.   Googling "Portarlington" is mostly throwing up Ireland so guess it might be a good place to start or eliminate.

I have no idea where he originated from only that he turns up in the parish registers of Lambeth, Surrey/London with a wife named Sarah with whom he had a child baptised C of E c1788.  He also had a brother named William (whereabouts c1818 unclear).

Can I trace this property?  Or Mary?

My knowledge of what records are available for this area are virtually zero so I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

Many thanks in anticipation

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HANSARD and FARRELL in Portarlington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody any ideas as to how I may proceed (or not as the case may be) with this please?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
The dates are very early which could be a problem... to search for records for this sort of timeframe you usually require a fairly detailed location - e.g. the town, townland or parish, so you can check if any details are available.

Church of Ireland records for the parish of Portarlington (or Lea civil parish) go back the 1690s. Some transcripts for the parish appear to be included on the pay-website at RootsIreland (EDITED these are RC not CofI - see following post), but these only go back to 1820. For earlier records you would have to visit the National Archives (Dublin)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:37 GMT (UK) »
sorry I checked the wrong denomination - the Portarlington details going back to 1820 on RootsIreland are RC. They dont have CofI records for Portarlington or Lea parish, just two CofI parishes for the county Port Laois and Ballyfin are listed.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
slightly later that Will was processed - but If that house included any agricultural land there could be an entry for it in the Tithe records. These date from between 1823 and 1837 and can be searched online on the National Archives website at :

Tithe Applotment Books

I've started the search off with any Far* in Co. Laois - there are some Farrells listed, including some with variation in spelling e.g. Farrol

The civil parish for Portarlington is Lea... so any of those would be near the town.

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Ok Shane, thankyou.  Church of Ireland ........... would that be the equivalent of C of E?  I have no idea what denomination I should be looking at yet nor any knowledge of Irish ancestry so any hints are useful.  I will take a look at those Tithe records.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 13 08:23 GMT (UK) »
CofI and CofE are both Anglican. The two were united for a time and even up to the 1870s you can see that reflected on the certs as '....according to the rights and ceremonies of the United Church of England & Ireland.'

Some 1837 details on the town of Portarlington

I wouldn't imagine the surname Hansard was very common around the area, and since Thomas actually owned property , rather than leased or rented, it sounds like he was probably  better off than most, so there could be some details out there on him.

I had a quick google for any references to Thomas, but so far the other Hansard (Parliamentary publication) clogs up the results...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Seamando1985

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hansard doesn't appear to be a recent name. A William Hansard of Portarlington was a Catholic who gave an Oath of allegiance to the Georgian Monarchy in Portarlington, (Presumably at the Market House & Court House, Market Square) on 10th May 1796. http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/cq/results.jsp?surname=hansard&firstname=&year_from=&year_to=&place_residence=&place_county=&place_diocese=&search=Search

Seamus

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 December 22 08:10 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Seamus  :)

You've added information to a thread which hasn't been active for nearly 10 years and the OP hasn't been online here since August 2020 so you may not receive a response. If his/her email is still current, then he/she will receive a notification of your post.

In the meantime, have you seen Portarlington on the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer?
https://arcg.is/0XPbTm
https://arcg.is/1Xu14S1

Just click 'Accept' and 'OK', and then click 'X' in the black band.
Select MapGenie 25 Inch [1887-1913] in Basemap Gallery and use the '+', '-' and pan controls to view.

Good luck!

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo