Author Topic: TREGENZA Family Member's Arrival in Australia  (Read 2603 times)

Offline GMBEL48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TREGENZA Family Member's Arrival in Australia
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
My gt grandfather, James Henry Tregenza, was born on 3 Jan 1852 at St Erth Cornwall where he lived up until the early 1870s. Some time between 1871 and 1876 he travelled to Australia. In 1876 he married my gt grandmother Kezia Newton ( Organge NSW) .  His arrival in Australia remains a mystery as we are unable to identify when he travelled, the name of the ship and where he disembarked. Family folklore suggests that he may have travelled to South Australia (Port Adelaide), as did many free settling Cornish folk at the time, and then travelled on to NSW. There is evidence that he may have travelled by ship between Melbourne and Sydney in Oct 1872.
The family would welcome any information on James travels to and within Australia.

Thank you.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Tregenza Family Member's Arrival in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
A James Tregenza(no further info) travelled as steerage from Melbourne Sydney on 23rd October 1872 on the Blackbird.

Presumably that's the record you mention?

Did he come back here for a visit and return with his wife and 6 year old son James on 15 September 1899 from London to Sydney?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GMBEL48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, we are aware of the 'Blackbird' trip between Melb and Sydney.

I'm not sure about that trip back to the UK though. I think my grandfather the younger James, would have mentioned such a journey to the family at some stage. Such a journey was still taking up to 3 months. A six year old would have been very impressed by such an adventure.

James Jr was the youngest sibling - having 6 older sisters. Our records indicate that in 1900, the family was living in Charter's Towers in Nth QLD, where James and Kezia stayed until around the early 1920s when great grandfather Tregenza was in his 70s.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 11:59 BST (UK) »
If your grandad was called James and he was born c 1893 then I think it a pretty fair chance that thsi is the same family.

The mum is not named,just Mrs Tregenza and she like her hubby is 45.
He is a mine owner and travelling with them is 28 year old Frank Tregenza.

The ship was called the ORUBA.

I can't find them arriving in the UK on the way here though!

Carol

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:16 BST (UK) »
Is this his obituary?   No help on where he arrived, but interesting :)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dpp/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GMBEL48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 June 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sourcing that - it was interesting. His son's life in Cloncurry was equally interesting.
We really appreciate your effort.

Regards

The Bell/Miller Family

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 June 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Whoever gave the paper that info thought he came from England with his wife,whereas I think he married her in Oz ,didn't he?

Offline GMBEL48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, they married in Orange NSW. She was also Cornish, born in Zennor and came to Australia on board the Samuel Plimsoll in 1875. They married in 1876. I'm just about to read a diary written by one of her fellow passengers. It will be an interesting read. From my research I have found that.....

In 1875 when bound for Melbourne with 360 emigrants, she was in collision with, and sank the ENRICA in the English Channel, with no damage to herself.

What a start to the journey!

The family travelled to many of the early mining centres in Aust- having the first 3 children in Bathurst NSW, then  Ballarat VIC, followed by Emu Bay TAS and Tallot VIC and finally my grandfather in Charter's in QLD. They moved around with the 6 children before settling in QLD.

All very interesting.

I will report back on what the diary unearths.

Regards

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
Whoever gave the paper that info thought he came from England with his wife,whereas I think he married her in Oz ,didn't he?
Also noticed that, however like death certificates, information only as good as the knowledge of the informant. I think my advice at the bottom of each of my posts is most apt. :)

I have searched all my resources and can't find an arrival for James.  If James was an unassisted immigrant he may be among the X number of passengers in steerage.

Did his death certificate note James' time in Australia and and in each State?  However as the information about him arriving with wife leads me to believe that the family information may be far from accurate anyway.

Cheers :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk