Author Topic: Irish Band of Brothers – WW1 - the Pierces of Coolcullen, Co Kilkenny  (Read 5060 times)

Offline AbroadintheYard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone

I've written a post about tracing my Granny (Elizabeth Pierce)'s brothers' service in WW1.  They were from Coolcullen, Co Kilkenny, where I spent many a happy childhood holiday and still visit regularly.  I tracked one brother down to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and another to the Royal Irish Regt and Leinster Regt.  They had a hard time on the Western Front, being wounded or captured as POW.  I've also written about what happened to men like them when (if) they finally came home.  I've attached a few old snaps at the end; if they ring any bells, please reply.

http://www.abroadintheyard.com/irish-band-of-brothers-ww1/

Hope you find it interesting

Offline AbroadintheYard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Band of Brothers – WW1 - the Pierces of Coolcullen, Co Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself - it's Sandra  ;)

Offline Walsh17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 23 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,  well your piece on irish band of brothers rang a bell , alot of them .
Elizabeth was my great grandmother , and I've actually lived in her house in coolcullen at one point in my life. After reading your piece it sparked my interest in finding out more

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 23 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Walsh17  :)

Unfortunately the OP (AbroadintheYard) hasn't been on RootsChat since June 2014 but if her email hasn't changed, she will receive a notification of your post and will hopefully return.

In the meantime, is this the 1911 census for the Pierces at Coolcullen?
House 33 in Coolcullen (Mothell, Kilkenny).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kilkenny/Mothell/Coolcullen/566454/

.....and in 1901
House 42 in Coolcullen (Mothell, Kilkenny).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kilkenny/Mothell/Coolcullen/1447942/

***Edited to Add***
Coolcullen town in Mothell civil parish on the county boundary between Kilkenny and Laois.
https://www.townlands.ie/kilkenny/fassadinin/mothell/mothell/coolcullen/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5119349#map=11/52.7459/-7.1191
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline AbroadintheYard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Gosh it's been a long time since I posted on here and wrote that piece!  Sadly my website is long gone.  Which of Elizabeth's children do you descend from?

Sandra   

Offline Walsh17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,  at last  :) . I've actually read your article about 3 years ago but didn't want to be bothering you . So Joseph and wife Nancy , then Adam ,then me . My dad says he knows. By the way , I was amazed at what you'd written about great granny and her brothers

Offline Walsh17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that ,kiltaglassan
I have nearly all of their details already, I've built a family tree , really where I'm stuck is the otherside of the family , walsh side , get as far as great great grandfather/mother Edward walsh and Ann kealy , closest I've come is Anne's parents and only a possible father for Edward,  maybe a Richard can't seem to get past it ,, the joys of family trees