Author Topic: Army or Navy  (Read 1443 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army or Navy
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Ive very kindly been sent some info from a Roots chatter that im hoping could be my 5x Great Grandfather they sent me a list of regiments he served i and im wondering would they in anyway be linked to the Navy abit like todays modern Marines?The reason i ask is apparently on his sons wedding record it says father Dennis McDonald sailor,here are the regiments he served in just to add he joined the 59th regiment whilst in Madras which was in the East Indies which he had to arrived at via the sea
1793 to 1795. 92nd regiment
1795 to 1812. 33rd regiment
1812 to 1820. 59th regiment
Apparently his discharge papers state he did his last 8 years in East and West Indies,any info or help would be really appreciated
many thanks
  Duncan

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army or Navy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:21 BST (UK) »
Infantry regiments did occasionally serve as de facto auxiliary marines. But not as a rule.

The reason i ask is apparently on his sons wedding record it says father Dennis McDonald sailor....
The trouble with your scenario is that the chap serving in the 92nd, 33rd & 59th is categorically a soldier. Quite a different thing to a sailor and not likely to be confused for one.

Tell us what you know about Dennis McDonald - sailor. What year was his sons wedding? How old was he at the time? etc etc
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline angel58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
royal marines maybe???

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Angel58 and Neil 1821
I was thinking Royal Marines but im not sure when they were formed?My 5x Great Grandfather was mentioned o his son John McDonalds 2nd marriage in 1851 in Paul cornwall he was mentioned as Dennis McDonald deseased mariner,the trouble is the lasst time Dennis was heard of was around 1809 after that he dissapeared his wife remarried and is stated as widow but now a Dennis McDonald has turned up with the Army record i gave and he reenlisted in Madras so theres a theory that he didnt die he in fact did a bunk and left wife and 2 kids and remarried in Scotland confusing i know! At present it all seems to lead to the Dennis the soldier being my 5x grt Grandad so not sure why it said mariner maybe the family didnt know or as he left on ship they just assumed,the theory that the regiments may of been Navy linked is why i was thinking thats why the family were confused(there not the only one !) Duncan

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
In a major reorganisation of the army in 1881, 92nd regiment became part of the Gordon Highlanders, 33rd Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) and 59th part of East Lancashires.
In the little detailed history I have I can see no formal link with the Royal Marines, though as someone has said, there may have been temporary links.
Before 1881 the regiments did not have the same sort of geographical links with counties etc.
A

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
In the little detailed history I have I can see no formal link with the Royal Marines, though as someone has said, there may have been temporary links.
I think that's true, no formal links at all.
As I understand it, the fleet was sometimes short of marines though, so soldiers were brought in to cover.
eg see the 1/69th Regt between 1793-98
http://www.rrw.org.uk/museums/cardiff/fact_sheets/2.htm
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All ;)
Thanks for those 2 links ill have a look hopefully something will turn up!
  Duncan]