Author Topic: FITZGERALD - Plymouth deaths/burials  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FITZGERALD - Plymouth deaths/burials
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
A bit of a longshot..but she who dares and all that...

I am looking for any newspaper reports or burial details for the following ancestors:

Henry Charles Fitzgerald - died 1 Dec 1882, 3 Wedgwood Villas, Ford Park, Compton Gifford, Plymouth
Sophia Mary Fitzgerald - died 20 May 1883, Ham House, Pennycross
Cuthbert Henry Fitzgerald - died 23 Nov 1890 - Royal Hotel, Devonport

The family had a strong link with St Pancras Church at Pennycross.

Henry Charles Fitzgerald married his first wife on 25 June 1861 at St Andrews, Plymouth, but she died a year later following the birth of their son (Cuthbert Henry)

I know that HCF remarried to Sophia Mary Trelawny Collins in 1868 - but not sure which church in Plymouth.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Dazey

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FITZGERALD - Plymouth deaths/burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
According to the Devon Family History Society's Plymouth marriage index vol 1, both the marriages took place at Plymouth St Andrew Church
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
That's very kind of you, Terry - thank you.
Do you know, would the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office have old newspapers on microfilm, or burial records?  I'm beginning to think I need to make a vist to Plymouth before too long!!  Just need to persuade other half that it's a great place to go on holiday!!  Dazey

Offline jacolemi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
That's very kind of you, Terry - thank you.
Do you know, would the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office have old newspapers on microfilm, or burial records?  I'm beginning to think I need to make a vist to Plymouth before too long!!  Just need to persuade other half that it's a great place to go on holiday!!  Dazey

The Plymouth Records Office when I have enquired before have told me newspapers were at Plymouth Central Library, unfortunately with burial records down here you have to contact each cemetery the 3 main ones Ford Park, Efford and Weston Mill all charge £10 for a search although at a quick glance at both of their websites some burials are available
Tate (Devon, Essex, Wales, Liverpool)
Prynn ( Cornwall, Devon) also some changed to Prynne
Scroggie ( Devon,  Manchester, Scotland)
Custance
Hayman (Devon)
Ponsford (Devon)

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

As you can provide almost exact dates  Central Library in Plymouth will look up local newspapers for you and e-mail you copies for a small charge.
 Their e-mail address is

library[at]plymouth.gov.uk

hope this helps
Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much jacolemi & terrymo.  That's a real help.  I will try the Central Library.  Thank you!!  Dazey

Offline oldgreyheron

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 June 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
I have in my possession a daily devotional "Bogatsky's Golden Treasury for the Children of God" owned by Cuthbert W Elphionstone-Holloway, HCF's brother-in-law. CWEH carried the devotional throughout his adult life and made marginal notes of important events in his life. I am in the process of trying to transcribe them all (spidery hand writing, each date with entries for different years on it).

On the 25th June 1861 he wrote:

At St Andrews Church Plymouth by the Rev Collins Trelawny assisted by the Rev D S Stone, Major Fitzgerald of 2nd (?) Regt of the Duke of Wellington, only son of the late Col Fitzgerald 60 Rifles to A A Elphinstone 2nd daughter of the late Col Elphinstone Holloway CB Royal Engineers. Belair 1861.

He also confirms the dates of two of the deaths: those of Cuthbert Fitzgerald and HCF. Strangely he doesn't mention the death of SMF.

My tree has the second marriage of HCF to the complicated Trelawney Collins family but I have no additional details of the date.

I have a photograph of HCF and CHF which I have attached, and one that I think is of of CHF on an aunt's knee (in mourning perhaps).

I hope that this is of some help and interest to you!

Can I ask what your connection with the Fitzgeralds is?

Best regards,
Mike

Offline Beacon 1979

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
Mike,

I am presently undertaking some research for a client in respect of Henry Charles Fitzgerald, sometime Colonel with the 33rd Regiment of Foot who died on the 1st December 1882.  I wonder might I have your permission to reproduce the image of Henry and his young Cuthbert in my client's report?  In answer to the query of the date of death of Henry's second wife, Sophia Mary Collins, I have a reference that she died in May 1883.

Kindest regards

John