Author Topic: Ballybawn House, Kilmacanogue, Wicklow  (Read 8690 times)

Offline TMLeigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballybawn House, Kilmacanogue, Wicklow
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
I have some birth information and 1930's photograph's of the Ballybawn House on Old Long Hill Road where at least 5 of my grandfather's older siblings were born.  A Thomas Kavanagh is identified as a godparent on one of the sibling's birth certificates and Ann Nugent was on another. My great grandfather John Leigh of Blackrath, Kildare married Mary Ann (Marianna) Nugent of Ballinteskin, Kilmacanogue, Wicklow in 1877.  His parents were William Leigh and Letitia Kennedy and her parents were Denis Nugent and Maria (Latin version of Mary) Kennedy. I suspect Maria and Letitia are sisters.  The Leigh's and Nugent's appear to be tenant farmers and possibly worked at nearby Powerscourt.  I would appreciate any family information on the history of the Ballybawn House, the Kavanagh's, Nugent's, or Leigh's.  A recent real estate listing for the Ballybawn House indicated that Maude Gonne stayed there during the Troubles. Her husband John may have beenrelated to the Ballybawn House owners.  The photo of the Ballybawn House circa 1934 is a close match to the current house.