Author Topic: FOYs of Tuam, Galway  (Read 8956 times)

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
  • Novice family history researcher struggling by!!!!
    • View Profile
FOYs of Tuam, Galway
« on: Monday 13 June 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have recently disovered that my Great x 3 Grandfather Martin FOY was baptised in Tuam, Galway in 1817.
I believe his parents were William FOY and Eleanor MURPHY.
Martin married a lady called Margaret ( no surname ) and they ended up in Hulme, Manchester where in 1878 my great Grandmother Winifred FOY was born.
Winifred later married my Great x 2 Grandfather John Price.
It appears they would have lefy Galway during the potato famine.....
Ia anybody else researching the FOY family from that area and can anyone recommend good source sites for Tuam so I can underdtand what caused them to head to Manchester in the mid 1850s.
PRICE - Hulme, Manchester / Pershore Worcest.   
ALMOND - Hulme, Manchester
STONE - Hulme, Manchester
FOY/FAY/FAHY - Galway / Hulme, Manchester
MACKINNON / McKinnon - Glasgow / Partick  / Whiteinch / Manchester
HERON - Eastwood/ Blairgowrie / The Gorbals
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: FOYs of Tuam, Galway
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention what religion your Foy family were.. where did you find the baptism details ?

RC baptism and marriage records for the parish of Tuam go back to the the 1790s, although there are some significant gaps. These are available on films Pos. 4221, 4222 in the National Library in Dublin.

Church of Ireland records for Tuam go back to 1808, and  are available in the RCB Library in Rathfarnham. Some also appear to be available in the National Archives in Dublin

Martin must have been quite elderly when his son was born - about 61..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention what religion your Foy family were.. where did you find the baptism details ?

RC baptism and marriage records for the parish of Tuam go back to the the 1790s, although there are some significant gaps. These are available on films Pos. 4221, 4222 in the National Library in Dublin.

Church of Ireland records for Tuam go back to 1808, and  are available in the RCB Library in Rathfarnham. Some also appear to be available in the National Archives in Dublin

Martin must have been quite elderly when his son was born - about 61..

Shane

I believe the FOYS were RC based on fact that Winifred married John Price in a RC Chapel in Hulme and the Price`s were Church of England as far as I know....
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline LMFT55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 11 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am researching the Foys also and I believe we may well be looking at the same family.  My 2 x great grandfather John Foy (b1852) was the son of Martin & Margaret (Martin being born around 1817-1819 in Galway).  John had a sister Winifred (b1856) who married John Price in Chorlton.  I tried looking into Irish records last year but had no luck.   I hear though that there are now more online so I'm giving it another shot.  I'm in Australia so unless records are online it's a bit tricky for me ... perhaps we could keep in touch .. I have a tree on ancestry.com.
Lisa Foy

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am researching the Foys also and I believe we may well be looking at the same family.  My 2 x great grandfather John Foy (b1852) was the son of Martin & Margaret (Martin being born around 1817-1819 in Galway).  John had a sister Winifred (b1856) who married John Price in Chorlton.  I tried looking into Irish records last year but had no luck.   I hear though that there are now more online so I'm giving it another shot.  I'm in Australia so unless records are online it's a bit tricky for me ... perhaps we could keep in touch .. I have a tree on ancestry.com.
Lisa Foy
Hi, I believe we may well be relatives! Hi!!!!
My great great x grandfather was John Price who married Winifred FOY at St Wilfreds Chapel, Hulme, Manchester in 1878......John and Winifred had a son 1 month after they married called Thomas Price who was my great grandfather.
Although married in Hulme the registration district was Chorlton on Medlock.
I am in contact with another RootsChat poster who is also researching the FOYs and she has traced them back to Tuam, Galway around 1817.
We believe they fled Ireland during the potato famine and ended up in my home city of Manchester in the late 1850s.
I have Winifred`s and John`s wedding certificate and also photos of St Wilfreds Chapel which is still standing although converted to offices now.
I have a little other information re the Foys and Winifred`s brother Martin who lodged with her and John and also Winifred`s sister in law Mary Ann who was witness at her wedding.
Please forward me your contact details and it`s been lovely to hear from you.
Lee Price
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline LMFT55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Lee - it certainly sounds like we are researching the same line !  I will PM you my email address and we can keep in touch.  Lisa

Offline fuseman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi both,have either of you come across a Cecilia Foy born around 1858 in Taum and somehow ended up in Walsall Staffordshire? Thanks
Simkiss, Walsall, Walsall Cemeteries.

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi both,have either of you come across a Cecilia Foy born around 1858 in Taum and somehow ended up in Walsall Staffordshire? Thanks

I havent sorry but they share same name and come from same town so good chance linked....
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline LMFT55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
No I haven't sorry .. I have delved into any records yet from Tuam. 

Good luck !