Author Topic: What uniform is this?! 1880s-ish photo.  (Read 1279 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What uniform is this?! 1880s-ish photo.
« on: Tuesday 14 June 11 04:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone identify what uniform this is?  Photo was taken at studio in Baker Street, London; and I believe it dates from 1880s-ish.  Very grateful for all help anyone can give.  Many thanks!
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform is this?! 1880s-ish photo.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

He is a member of the London Scottish Rifle Volunteers. The cloth is called Hodden Grey and was chosen so as not offend members by choosing a particular tartan.

As Volunteers they attended one evening a week, with a two-week summer camp. The National Archives has no records and recommends contacting ‘local record offices’. Or trying contacting - http://www.gcompany.org.uk/History%20of%20London%20Scottish.htm

A number of men volunteered during the Boer War. Many served with the Gordon Highlanders, and you may find a record for these on Findmypast, and on the medal roll on Ancestry if you have a name.

The rifle is the Martini-Henry which was made 1871 to 1891. The longer ejecting lever was introduced after the failings during the Zulu War. So suggests after c1885. One problem is that part-time soldiers were the last to receive new equipment so it could even be later. If you contact the above association they may be able to tell you when the London Scottish gave up the Martini-Henry, or when they changed the sporran badge to the cross of St Andrew.

Ken

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 07:15 BST (UK) »
If it is of any help John James Fisher was trading from the address shown on the card from 1888 to 1909.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
wow, guys!  I'm completely blown away by all this information -- so, so detailed and helpful (although unfortunately it isn't exactly what I was expecting/hoping for!).  Thank you both so much for your time and trouble.  Thank you, Ken, for the link you suggest.  I will certainly follow that up. Seems I've a lot more research to do on this man!    :-\

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada