Author Topic: TIBBS - locating Elizabeth in 1881&91/1901  (Read 4366 times)

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TIBBS - locating Elizabeth in 1881&91/1901
« on: Tuesday 14 June 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
I am researching Thomas TIBBS one of two twins (Caroline) born in 1856 in New Hartley to William TIBBS (b. 1830 Stepney, London - named victim of New Hartley Mining Disaster of 1862) and Elizabeth Young (born 1829 Houghton-le-Spring, Durham).

I have found the family in 1861 at the Colliery.  After the disaster I have found Elizabeth in 1871 but cannot locate her in subsequent census. 

I'm not sure if she remarried - the relief fund following the disaster provided for her financially until she remarried so might have been a disincentive?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Booth - Hulme, Manchester & Wallsend
Craggs - Bishop Auckland, Darlington & Byker
Hutchins & Lewins- Sunderland
Miller, Allan & Brunton - Walker & Byker
Bagnall - Watermen of the Ouseburn

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TIBBS - locating Elizabeth in 1881&91/1901&11
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
hi,on freeBMD there is a marriage of an Elizabeth Tibbs in Tynemouth district in the June qtr 1871,if it is her maybe she remarried shortly after the census.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for the children William aged two and Stephen aged one,besides the twins Thomas and Carloline ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
I've traced them in later census just in case Elizabeth had settled with her children's families - but not the case so far.

I think the marriage in Tynemouth has potential - there are 2 possible spouses, William Todd and Edmund Marshall.  Again I've checked 1881 & 1891 for either with Edmund but no definite match as yet.

I need a definite link as there are many Elizabeth Marshalls and Todds b. Durham/Sunderland area so I'm hoping for census record with Houghton-le-Spring as birthplace - or something else more definite.  Otherwise it's a case of purchasing the marriage cert (can't find any church records on FamilySearch for Christchurch etc so may be Registry Office only??) at some stage...

...unless Rootschat comes to the rescue!

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
I think there is some article or records kept of the families of the victims of that mining accident written by Adam and Joan Bunting also a record of the relief fund found at Woodhorn now (I imagine) reference NRO 488, New Hartley Colliery Accident Relief Fund papers 1862-1903. There is also Joseph Humble's notebook of the families and amounts given from the fund. 

Also several years ago I heard from a man who was one of the organizers of a memorial celebration occuring next year 2012 for the 150th anniversary of that accident.  I don't have his name though but they were looking for survivor families descendants.

177. Tibbs, William, 32, Single Row, bn Stepney, London.  Elizabeth (Caroline and Thomas, twins, 5, William, 2, Stephen 1)

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Janis
As I've said, William TIBBS (husband of Elizabeth in this topic) was one of the victims of the mine disaster.
I had come across exhibits about the disaster on a recent visit to Woodhorn and find it all the more tragic with this personal connection - that I only discovered yesterday.

I will follow up the leads you suggest to see if they assist in tracing Elizabeth's whereabouts and changge of circumstances in the aftermath.  If anyone lives near to Woodhorn Archive and would be willing to undertake this that would be most helpful - but I appreciate a big ask - until I get the chance to revisit.

I will keep an eye out for the 150 memorial event as my wife and mother-in-law who are the descendants may be interested in attending - what a sad recollection it will be of a bygone age...

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 19:47 BST (UK) »

... have just traced this recent article from the Journal for anyone with interest/connections with the event:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/northumberland-sites/seaton-delaval-northumberland/seaton-delaval-news/2011/04/14/group-plan-events-to-mark-hartley-mining-disaster-61634-28521919/

including the contact details of organisers.

I noticed Janis has posted about this on a New Hartley Disaster topic so might be worth posting this link on there if you consider appropriate

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 June 11 00:06 BST (UK) »

As mentioned earlier, the FreeBMD site shows marriages of four people ( William Todd, Edmund Marshall, Alice Madison and Elizabeth Tibbs ) in June Qtr 1871 within Tynemouth Registration District.

Today's equivalent Registration District is that of North Tyneside.  However the Register Office website for this district does not confirm any marriages of these four people in 1871 !

Where was Elizabeth on the 1871 census ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 June 11 07:43 BST (UK) »
Interesting!  Thanks for looking.
I've looked for all combinations in 1881 and 1891 but nothing so far.

In 1871 Elizabeth was in Newsham New Row (Isabella Pit) Cowpen, Blyth -widow - with no details of occupation and her 4 children with her.

It is unlikely that she will have gone far from here by 1881, though her children headed for Newcastle/Gateshead so maybe she might have followed??