Author Topic: No blue-bloods left?  (Read 11739 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: No blue-bloods left?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
I have two ancestors who claimed to be of Royal Descent.

My greatx5 grandmother, Helen Lascelles (c.1758-c.1841), claimed to be related to most of the gentry/lairds in Buchan through the Lascelles - even claiming to be head of the House of Noble, and the Hereditary Constable of Broadsea. Her mother was, though, an illegitimate daughter of John Gordon who was, in turn, a grandson of William Fraser, the 12th Lord Saltoun of Abernethy. Her mother's claim seems to hold some water. Helen Lascelles claimed her mother was left £10 in John Gordon's will and sure enough, £10 was left to his natural daughter in his will. He left the bulk of his estate to his nephew, Lord Saltoun. Through the branches of the Fraser family the first monarch you encounter is King James IV of Scotland - reigned 1488-1513.

My greatx7 grandfather, William Rose (1740-1807), claimed to be a descendent of the Rose family of Kilravock. He was a noted genealogist and was able to prove his connection to the Kilravocks (he wrote to the Clan Chief who agreed with William's research). William Rose was the Factor to the Earl of Fife and was apparently a bit up himself. He had a coat of arms commissioned and, when relations turned sour between him and the Earl (Rose tried to sue Fife), he was ridiculed for his desperate attempts at portraying himself as a genry gentleman with his distant connections to the Kilravocks.

So if those two ancestors' claims are correct, there is lots of blue blood in me!
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
I was feeling a bit left out for a moment, but had a look at Ancestry Member Trees.  Where would we be without them?  Apparently I can claim Charlemagne King of the Franks as an ancestor.  I feel so much better now :)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
I want to be related to one Jamie Fraser, of Lallybroch, super gorgeous hunk of a man who is head of Clan Fraser in Scotland, and the hero in the "Voyager or Outlander" Crosstitch, series of historical novels written by Diana Gabaldon!  

I even went on a search for him in Scotland a few years ago!!   ::) ::) Sighhhh!!!  Mmmmm!! Gorgeous!!

Jeanne (still looking for Jamie)  ;D

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline derekwg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
I want to be related to one Jamie Fraser, of Lallybroch, super gorgeous hunk of a man who is head of Clan Fraser in Scotland, and the hero in the "Voyager or Outlander" Crosstitch, series of historical novels written by Diana Gabaldon!  

I even went on a search for him in Scotland a few years ago!!   ::) ::) Sighhhh!!!  Mmmmm!! Gorgeous!!

Jeanne (still looking for Jamie)  ;D

I want to be related to Julia Roberts but I guess I'll have to keep on dreaming. ::)

Weaving...Rodborough,Stroud,Ruscombe.
 Browning...ditto.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
Family lore has it that there is French blood somewhere in our line.

Could that be Napoleon? We share the height thing!!

No. Probably Guillaume of Normandy - William the Conqueror to you lot!!  ;D ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few earls and knights on one branch of my tree - pity that eventually the male line I am descended from was not that of the eldest son so no riches for us.  For instance my 22 x g.grandfather was William III d'Aubigny,  Earl of Arundel.  He died in Italy during the 5th crusade.  His body was brought home to England and he was buried in Wymondham Abbey, presumably in a family vault.  His eldest child (a daughter) was my 21 x g.grandmother. 

When William III died, Arundel Castle was passed to his first son who died and finally to his last son (Hugh d'Aubigny).  In 1242 Hugh d’Aubigny the last of the male line died. His youngest sister Isabel married John FitzAlan of Clun, Arundel Castle and earldom was passed onto him.   Not sure why Isabel and her husband gained Arundel Castle and the title as my 21 x g.grandmother, the eldest sister, and her husband who was Lord of Dudley were still alive.  Must visit Arundel Castle one of these days to look at the portraits to see if there is a family likeness  ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few earls and knights on one branch of my tree - pity that eventually the male line I am descended from was not that of the eldest son so no riches for us.  For instance my 22 x g.grandfather was William III d'Aubigny,  Earl of Arundel.  He died in Italy during the 5th crusade.  His body was brought home to England and he was buried in Wymondham Abbey, presumably in a family vault.  His eldest child (a daughter) was my 21 x g.grandmother. 

When William III died, Arundel Castle was passed to his first son who died and finally to his last son (Hugh d'Aubigny).  In 1242 Hugh d’Aubigny the last of the male line died. His youngest sister Isabel married John FitzAlan of Clun, Arundel Castle and earldom was passed onto him.   Not sure why Isabel and her husband gained Arundel Castle and the title as my 21 x g.grandmother, the eldest sister, and her husband who was Lord of Dudley were still alive.  Must visit Arundel Castle one of these days to look at the portraits to see if there is a family likeness  ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie

I think that John FitzAlan succeeded to Hugh's title because he was his nephew. Isabel was his mother, not his wife.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
I was cross because many years ago, someone took a GEDCOM I gave in confidence, and published the tree on a public site.

He then proceeded to add to it. According to him, I am directly descended to the man who planned the murder of Thomas a Becket, and I am related to William the Conqueror! I am royal!  :o

That all rather supposes that my gggggg grandfather sired a child at 11 years old...  ::)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
I think that John FitzAlan succeeded to Hugh's title because he was his nephew. Isabel was his mother, not his wife.

Oops, yes you are correct, John FitzAlan was Hugh's nephew not his brother in law.  I guess his other siblings didn't produce any sons and having re-arranged William III's children in correct order on my tree I see that my 21 x g.gran was the younger sister of Isabel, so although she had a son (not my line unfortunately) he would not have been 1st in line for the title. C'est la vie ;D

Lizzie