Author Topic: No blue-bloods left?  (Read 11744 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No blue-bloods left?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
Funny this should come up today.... as I only recently spoke to a close cousin, who had been informed by his Mother... that we 'Sutherlands' own half of Scotland???!

Well there you go..  I knew it all along, but kept it secret ;D ;D ;)... (like I have about the tuth of our heritage.. I think he would freak if he knew that??!? :-X ::))

xin
that might be so - but we Mackenzie's are supposed to be descended from a Viking King lol   ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
F-i-l claims that they are descended from the Murray's of Blair Atholl (The Duke of Atholl is the only person in the United Kingdom allowed to have and maintain a private 'Army'). Family lore has it that F-i-l's branch of ancestors were exiled to the Outer Hebrides for "bad behaviour".

In slightly more recent times F-i-l's grandfather, Angus, was supposed to have been someone important in Tullibardine Distillery, and he, along with his brother, took the recipe to Ireland. This led to a rift between them and the rest of the family.
Angus and his brother, John, did indeed make the move to Ireland and they were both Brewer's and Distiller's.

Both the Blair Atholl and Tullibardine MURRAY clans can be traced back to Hugh Freskin, a Flemish noble man who was granted extensive lands in Moray and took the name "de Moravia".

They might be but I can't get past Donald MURRAY (son of John MURRAY & Ann MacLEOD) bp 1804 in Stornoway.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
I descend from a couple called Adam and Eve.  ;)
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:16 BST (UK) »
Funny this should come up today.... as I only recently spoke to a close cousin, who had been informed by his Mother... that we 'Sutherlands' own half of Scotland???!

Well there you go..  I knew it all along, but kept it secret ;D ;D ;)... (like I have about the tuth of our heritage.. I think he would freak if he knew that??!? :-X ::))

xin
that might be so - but we Mackenzie's are supposed to be descended from a Viking King lol   ;D

The Mackenzies have an older claim than that going back to a 5th century king named  Loarn mac Eirc. That would make you a very distant cousin of MacBeth.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
I descend from a couple called Adam and Eve.  ;)

I DO NOT Adam'n'Eve it!  :P
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Well I think I'm descended from King Louis ...................

Err that's "I'm the King of the Jungle, a jungle VIP ...................."

Everyone sing along now

Now I'm the king of the swingers
Oh, the jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
And that's what botherin' me
I wanna be a man, mancub
And stroll right into town
And be just like the other men
I'm tired of monkeyin' around!

Oh, oobee doo
I wanna be like you
I wanna walk like you
Talk like you, too
You'll see it's true
An ape like me
Can learn to be humen too

( Gee, cousin Louie
You're doin' real good

Now here's your part of the deal, cuz
Lay the secret on me of man's red fire

But I don't know how to make fire )

Now don't try to kid me, mancub
I made a deal with you
What I desire is man's red fire
To make my dream come true
Give me the secret, mancub
Clue me what to do
Give me the power of man's red flower
So I can be like you

You!
I wanna be like you
I wanna talk like you
Walk like you, too
You'll see it's true
Someone like me
Can learn to be
Like someone like me
Can learn to be
Like someone like you
Can learn to be
Like someone like me!

;)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 20:21 BST (UK) »

xin

The Mackenzies have an older claim than that going back to a 5th century king named  Loarn mac Eirc. That would make you a very distant cousin of MacBeth.
I can't get back further than 1776 so I'm not anticipating I'll be making any blue blood claims  ;D

re the supposed Danish connection ... last year I decided to blow up a small old photo of my father in his late 30's and was totally taken aback by how like Prince Philip at the same age he looked.  It's probably the lighting as he always looked like himself with similar familial features as his brothers of course.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Well, my Gtx3 grandfather's sister's husband's father's great nephew was a miner by the name of Middleton.

A few generations on and that makes me related to our Kate. 

I'm not sure what position in line the throne that makes me but it has to be close - doesn't it?

Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what position in line the throne that makes me but it has to be close - doesn't it?

I bet someone on RC will have worked it out before the day's over  ;D
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent