Author Topic: Northumberland Fusiliers - Thomas TIBBS  (Read 2047 times)

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland Fusiliers - Thomas TIBBS
« on: Tuesday 14 June 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
While researching Thomas TIBBS b.1856, New Hartley, Northumberland I came across some info that suggested he may have been killed in action in March 1918 in France.

There is a probate which places his residence as Heaton, Newcaslte and his wife as Catherine which both tally.  He married Catherine BOWMAN in 1880.

What suprised me is his age - at 62 would he have been too old to serve and die in the Great War?  He was 2nd Lieutenant in 1/4th Battalion which seems to be a Territorial Force.

Does anyone have acces to any further military records which might confirm this.  I have searched for Army Records on FindMyPast but no success other than Killed in Action and Commonwealth Graves Commission.

Anything confirming aga would be useful - or pointing to another Thomas TIBBS in Newcastle at that time with Catherine as wife.

Thanks
Booth - Hulme, Manchester & Wallsend
Craggs - Bishop Auckland, Darlington & Byker
Hutchins & Lewins- Sunderland
Miller, Allan & Brunton - Walker & Byker
Bagnall - Watermen of the Ouseburn

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Fusiliers - Thomas TIBBS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Does the probate definitely say that Catherine is his *wife* and not merely next-of-kin?

62 would be a heck of an age for a 2/Lt, so I reckon 2/Lt Tibbs was Thomas & Catherine's son, who appears as Thomas Tibbs Jun. age 19 in 1911.
The 2/Lt's medal index card gives his next of kin as (Mother) Mrs T Tibbs, 34 Fifth Ave, Heaton.
For Thomas Sr there is a likely death in the E&W BMDs: Thomas Tibbs, age 63, Newcastle upon Tyne, Jan/Feb/Mar 1920 (vol.10b, page 206).

Adrian

EDIT: Just found the probate! "...to Catherine Tibbs (wife of Thomas Tibbs)", but it doesn't say *which* Thomas Tibbs! And if it was the dead Thomas Tibbs, surely it would say "widow of...", wouldn't it?

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 14:49 BST (UK) »
Officers records arent online.You would have to get in toucxh with Kew or visit to get a copy(if it survives) Think there is a free search though which will give you a reference
Sounds pretty much like son of :)
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139368

Looks like he was originally a 16th NF lad so this thread may interest you.There are some really great NF experts on that site

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
There is a publication 'Officers Died in the Great War' which should include Tibbs.  It is available on a CD, but I don't know if it is online.  It might have detaails of age but someone will know more than I.
A

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  That all makes sense - the 'Mother' in medal record being the key - I assume that the address Mrs T Tibbs would have referred to Catherine as used to be the norm.  Strange that his wife Isabella didn't receive anything.

Any indication of the medal awarded or reason?

Other than that I think you've tied this query up for me - many thanks.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Nothing else on Officers Died he was attached to 1/4th NF.
His medals were the 1915 Star,British War and Victory Medals basically the campaign medals he was entitled to.His family would have got a death plaque and scroll too

There should be something on the London gazette too , he was comissioned from ranks

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline kungfucious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 August 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
There is record of Isabella remarrying in 1916 to Isaac Ogle, which would explain why nothing was left to her on Thomas' death:

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
Date of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar 1916
Registration district: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Inferred County: Northumberland
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 42

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 August 11 07:17 BST (UK) »

Thanks.  Don't quite understand though as Thomas was not killed in action until March 1918 - and she is marrying under her maiden name of Bell rather than TIBBS.  Does this mean that they had divorced or does the marriage record refer to another Isabella Bell?

It would explain why nothing in probate passed to Isabella but to Thomas's mother.

Offline kungfucious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 August 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, divorce or it being the incorrect Isabella would be the only 2 logical answers (apologies as this is not a lead I've yet researched in any great detail)

The Isabella who married Isaac Ogle appears to have died in Jun 1970 in Newcastle with the record giving her date of birth as 11 Mar 1887. If you already have a definite DOB then this could validate/invalidate this being the correct Isabella...

PS - I don't want to stray off-topic, but I've posted a message on Philip Tibbs (Thomas' 3rd great-grandfather). If you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated