Author Topic: Emigration of David DEMPSTER Scotland to Australia  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Aunty Feather

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of David DEMPSTER Scotland to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 July 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

My sister, Janette, has probably met up with you by now in Scotland.  This is her sister, Heather, in Australia.  In 1967 I moved to Canada and looked up Tom and Fay McCaskill in Vancouver BC - formerly from Alberta - who corresponded with my grandparents David and Julia Dempster in Australia.  I don't know their connection to David Dempster, but not relatives.  Fay kept meticulous records and told me that my grandfather worked on the railway in Revelstoke and departed Vancouver to Australia in 1905. 

Wish I were in Scotland again to pursue the mystery!  Will look forward to learning more as the story unfolds.

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 July 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

We are seeing Janette on Friday morning all being well.

If David sailed to Canada before going to Australia that would explain why I can't find any record going directly to Australia! I was seeing some "David Dempster"s going to Canada but ignored them. Par for the course with this family history thing.

I have most of the family tree as I know it at the moment on-line. A lot of the Australian side of things is 'worked out' rather than absolutely definite. If you are interested let me know and I will send you the link to look at it.

You can tell me where I have managed to get it totally mixed up  ;D

Susan
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton

Offline Aunty Feather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 11 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Great to hear from you and I would love to have link to whatever family tree history you have online.  Can't say I have much info myself for Mum's side of the family.  Relatives on my Dad's side did extensive research and produced a booklet and computer disk for a Fraser reunion in the mid-1980's in Australia, which is lovely to have.

I know Janette is delighted to have connected with you.  I would really love to meet you -- perhaps you'll  make it to Australia!!!

All the best from Down Under,
Heather

Offline ITBookworm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

We are not long in from a nice blether with Janette and Trevor. I will send you a private message with my email and a link to the web site to get access. From what Janette said it looks like I don't have anything too far wrong - just big gaps for all the recent people I haven't been able to work out  :)

Any problems let me know.
Dempster, Harvie, Comrie, Adams
O'Neill, Curry, Dunbar, Crichton