Author Topic: 4 Cornish pubs  (Read 16564 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Cornish pubs
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 June 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Yes this latest little flurry of publicans all in one family was generated by a  contact in the USof A several of the family went to different areas in the states around that time its been a bit complicated to sort
Here is a nice piece about the pub iand Fraddam http://www.visitoruk.com/historydetail.php?id=28949&f=Camborne-redruth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:24 BST (UK) »
Going back to the beginning It has been suggested to me that this one:
1841 Fore Street Marazion kept by William SEMMENS

Could be the Lanyan Arms can anyone find a trace of such a pub? My contact also mentioned a letter which says that William Semmens the landlord put out a fire in an other property in Marizion but I have no dates to go on so can't confirm it was the same William( there is at least one other who seems to have been born in 1816 and married to a Prudence but he isn't a publican on censuses so may be the fire fighter was indeed "my " William Now in  Fore Street there is a pub called the Fire Engine has this anything to do with the story The history of the Fire Engine may tell if it ever had a different name
I think I will e mail the present owner
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Toffywhirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 November 14 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm picking up a conversation you had some 3 years ago about Cornish pubs- particularly the Cornish Mount in Crowan churchtown - I'm researching this one myself and I just wondered how you got on with your search ?

best

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
A big welcome to Roots Chat I am sure you will enjoy being a member.
Unfortunately this line of research was badly disrupted as my fil became more and mot=re dependent on us sadly he has now passed away and we are gradually getting back to researching the family history but with newly found cousins etc have been concentrating on other lines. If you read through the thread from the start you will find bits and pieces about the Cornish Mount to give you a start and As soon as i can i will check through too and see what can be added. What is the era you are particularly interested in?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Toffywhirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 November 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trees, thanks for getting back and sorry to hear of your loss. Actually I'm interested in the 1840 - 1910 area really -- there is very little info about it - possibly because the village (and the pub) came under the auspices of the St Aubyn family then at Clowance Estate- (now at St Michaels Mount) and many, if not all records, were burnt many years ago. The pub is of great interest to me  mainly because I now live in it and its history runs parallel to the history of the village that I'm trying to piece together.
The info from your thread has been of huge help already and has been a fantastic place to start -- if I turn anything else up I think of interest to you I will, of course, send on

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 November 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Good to meet you if possible I'd love a photo of the pub to go with my record of it
If you go to my web site http://www.mcmullin.plus.com and look under Occupations Publicans you will see that I have a lot of connected pubs you should find it under Cornwall pubs On our site if you click any blue lettering it takes you further into the site but from the home page click on the yellow word Occupations under the heading banner that gives a drop down click on publicans and so on Let me know if you have problems
Good to meet you
Trees :)

Added Just tried it myself boy does it need updating will get on to it asp I can't see the Cornish Mount even so that needs adding many thanks for bringing it up again so much got neglected while fil was so poorly its taking a lot of time to catch up with every thing.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 November 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trees,

I noticed your peripheral interest in the "Fire Engine Inn" in Fore Street, Marazion above.

For the record, here are the keepers of that Inn on the census from 1841 to 1861.

1841:  William Harvey (47) and wife Susan, one daughter and a servant.
1851:  Susan Harvey (42) with the family of son-in-law William Laity plus a servant and visitor.
1861:  Thomas Laity (48) with second wife Lavinia, his children and their cousins and two servants.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 November 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
So that clears up which pub William Harvey kept I wonder if the name was to do with the fire?
Many thanks indeed I  can see I need to sort my pub records out asp I'm just back from a short data collecting break in Worcester so I am armed with a load of data to put on my tree this week end then I'll concentrate on the pubs
Many thanks horselydown86 and  Toffywhirl

added oh no there must have been two Willliam Harvey's as Edwards parents were William and Mary not Susan Edward was born in 1847
OK you've got my attention now I'll take a big look NOW

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 November 14 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I am now very confused and need to clarify things so I am listing the facts we definitely have.
Joseph Bray m louisa Alma Pooley her father was James POOLEY the inn keeper of St Aubyns Arms Hotel, Praze and a butcher
James POOLEY was married to Eleanor SEMMONS
eleanor's sister Ann married James' brother John he was also a butcher.
James and John had an older brothrt Edward POOLEY who in 1851 was a farmer and Inn keeper HO107/1916 fo429 p23 in pt: Gwinear, Drowalls which Inn is this?
OK that is the POOLEYs now for the SEMMONS
Eleanor had a brother Henry who was the inkeeper
1841 Church Town,Crowan HO107/ 141/ 8 fo 5 p 2
1851HO107/1913 fo553 p 21 Tregar village ChurchTown  Which pub?
1861 HO107/1913 fo553 p 21 Church Village   same place?

Henry had a daughter Mary who married Edward Harvey of Gwinear they emigrated to Michigan USA

Another brother John SEMMONS was innkeeper
1851 HO107/1918 fo 87 p 6 Church Town St Hillary thought to be The STAR
1861 RG 9/1574 fo 30 p 4 The Britannia Breage
The oldest SEMMON brother William is a publican in FORE street Marazion in 1841
1841 HO107/ 144/13 fo 4 p 3
But William Harvey is also a publican in Fore Street Marazion in 1841HO107/ 144/2 fo41p6
So there are two pubs or Ale houses or Inns in Fore Street ...How big was Fore Street and which if either was the Fire Engine and what was the second place called?Was it the Lanyan Arms
Part 2 ro follow

mcmullin.me.uk