Author Topic: cuppanagh  (Read 7885 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: cuppanagh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Death, like Marriages and Births, were recorded in the district they took place in. Obviously this may, or may not be where they were born, or lived in earlier years..

For details included on death certs see : Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
In the registration district where the death took place which has always been the case but a lot of Irish deaths were not registered especially during the land war which effectively ended in 1903 as part of a campaign of civil disobedience.

J.T.A.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
In the registration district where the death took place which has always been the case but a lot of Irish deaths were not registered especially during the land war which effectively ended in 1903 as part of a campaign of civil disobedience.

J.T.A.

I've not heard of this in relation to birth/death registration before- has this been written about somewhere?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
It wasn't a big issue and I don't think much has been written about it, but non registration was one of the few weapons the poor tenants had apart from the fact they simply couldn't afford it and they weren't going to broadcast it as it was an offence.

J.T.A.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 June 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
As far as I know there wasn't any fee for registering a death. It can sometimes be difficult to find a death in the index (mis-transcription of name, died in an unexpected place, age incorrect, date of death different from what was previously thought, etc.) but that doesn't mean there was a deliberate campaign against registration.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 June 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
From what I have been told it was just a minor part of a broad policy of non cooperation with the authorities. Whatever the case relatively few deaths were registered before the 20th century, I only wish they were more.

J.T.A.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 June 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Whatever the case relatively few deaths were registered before the 20th century, I only wish they were more.

not sure about that - I've found the majority of pre-1900 death's that I've searched for.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Due to the work of Register-General Thomas Grimshaw by 1880 there was a dramatic decrease in the number of unregistered births and deaths.
I'm also been able to find almost all the pre-1900 deaths that I've searched for although in some cases the information on the certificate is incorrect.

Offline bob d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 June 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Shane, for your reply to my query concerning deaths in Ireland but I am still somewhat confused.How does one find out the district where the death is registered? My relatives lived in Cuppanagh, County Sligo but their births were registered in Boyle and Ballinafad, County Roscommon.  It is my gut feeling that my relatives died in Cuppanagh, Sligo. When searching the site I have about deaths in Ireland should I consider Sligo registrar office where they lived or do I choose the Boyle registrar  office .
Thank you so much for all your help.

Bob Degnan.......West Chester, Pa , USA