Author Topic: Hoyle, West Yorkshire  (Read 13855 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoyle, West Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi katboo,

The man I'm trying to find out about was William Herbert Hoyle (known as Herbert).  He was the son of George Hoyle and Harriet Milnes.  He had several siblings - Mary H, Elizabeth, Alfred, Milnes, Olive, Florence.  He was married to Bertha Saville, and had one son to her - Eric Archie, who died 1982.  He was born in Greetland in 1887, but lived most of his life in Brighouse.  I have not yet been able to find his death date, but now have a few clues to work on.  As far as I know, most of his siblings lived in Brighouse also.  I would not be at all surprised if other relatives still live in the area.  Do any of these names ring a bell?

Christine

Offline katboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
i don't know myself but i will take this list to my grandparents and ask them!

thanks for getting back to me so quickly i'll let you know what i find out :)

Offline triciad611961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
Is there an Harry Hoyle at all on your tree ?. I live a mile away from Brighouse and Harry was one of the characters that lived in our village many years ago
Donner. Myers. Bayliss. Dalby. Souster. Parker

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 July 11 12:14 BST (UK) »
The only Harry I can think of is the baby son of Herbert who died in infancy, but that does not mean this other Harry is not in some way related.  I have not yet found all the children of Herbert's brothers, or their children, so you never know.  I only found out last year that I was related to people named Hoyle, so no doubt there is a lot of work to do.  I also live in the Brighouse area, and know of families named Hoyle, who may be distantly related to me.  It's all been a bit tentative so far!  I have a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, and also on Genes Reunited, if you'd like to take a look. 

Herbert's Hoyle family all seem to have been mill workers way back.  Herbert himself lived on Old Lane, Brighouse, for quite a while.   His son Archie lived on Empsall Row in later years, which is nearby.    I think there were some relatives living at Clifton.

Best,

Christine

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 July 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Chistine.

If you live in the Brighouse area then try Electoral registers, Newpapers BMD's, telephone directories, MI's at Archives or local libraries also Crematoriums remembrance books and more. YAS Claremont house near Leeds uni- Huddersfield/Halifax and Brighouse Libs/Archives  and FHS

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 July 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dobby,
I'm lucky in that I work at one of the libraries you mention, and have access to a lot of records.  I've visited Halifax Ref Library and have accessed Electoral Rolls there, and next on the agenda is the Brighouse Echo newspaper, which is held at Brighouse and Halifax libraries.  I am hoping for a death notice for Herbert.  I think it was you who pointed out a death entry to me for March qtr 1945 (there were a lot of possibilities to choose from!)  I have not had time to search the Echo yet, but I'll have a look in the near future.  I have a funny feeling this is probably the right entry.  There was a rumour that Herbert was killed in a railway accident, but we don't know if that was true or a fob-off, as he was a very naughty man and led ladies up the garden path with promises of marriage when he was already entwined with another in Holy Wedlock!
Thanks for your suggestions and past help,
Christine

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I can now bring this thread to a close, as a trawl through microfilm of the Brighouse Echo newspaper has furnished me with information on the death of William Herbert Hoyle - Herbert died suddenly in January 1945, while at work at the ICI plant, Deighton, Huddersfield.  He was 56 years old. 

Thanks especially to Dobfarm!

Christine

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I notice that your post is from 2011.
I have a HARRY HOYLE who married SUSEY WOODSIDE in 1920 at Huddersfield.
Susey was living in Marsden in 1910 and Linthwaite in 1911.
I have just been looking at the Marsden Family History site and saw a Harry Hoyle who was in the Marsden Old Band which was situated in Marsden Lane. Susey Woodside was living with her family at 40 Marsden Lane, Marsden in 1910.
Is this the Harry you are looking for? Susey was my mother's cousin.
Regards
Pat Berry in Australia

Is there an Harry Hoyle at all on your tree ?. I live a mile away from Brighouse and Harry was one of the characters that lived in our village many years ago
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hope you find what you're looking for.
Hoyle seems a not unusual name here in West Yorks but I recall a colleague called Hoyle who always had bother getting it spelled correctly when outside our area.
If your man died when in another part of the country the name might have been mis-spelled of mis-transcribed?