Author Topic: Mathew Sullivan born about 1806 Drogheda  (Read 2978 times)

Offline maisie666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mathew Sullivan born about 1806 Drogheda
« on: Wednesday 15 June 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I know this is a bit of a longshot as I don't have much info, but I'm looking for any info re Mathew Sullivan born about 1806 in Drogheda or any Sullivan ancestors in Drogheda.  I'm pretty sure they would have been RC.

The info I have is that he had married Bridget (from Whicklow) and moved to Lancashire by 1851 where he had three children (John b1831, Patrick b1844 and Mary b1847).  Given the gaps in the childrens' ages, I wonder if Bridget wasn't his first wife.  I haven't been able to trace their marriage definitely ......

I'm hitting a brick wall every which way here and I haven't been able to find any church baptism records for 1806.

Can anyone give me any clues, or at least point me in the right direction as my head is starting to spin...!!

Thanks very much
Maisie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mathew Sullivan born about 1806 Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
There's a couple of different RC parishes that cover the town of Drogheda - St. Peter's, St. Mary's and Mellifont. St. Mary's covered the southern part of the town (Co. Meath) and records for this parish go back to 1835 for baptism, 1870s for marriages.

St. Peter's covered most of the northern part of the town and records go back to the 1740s for baptisms ,and about 1815 for marriages - although there are several large gaps, and some every faint pages. Parts of the town are also covered by the parish of Mellifont - and baptism and marriage records go back to 1821.

See : Co. Louth RC Parishes (Irish Times)

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane

p.s. part of Mellifont is the parish on the map without a name shown
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maisie666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mathew Sullivan born about 1806 Drogheda
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  The year I'm lookin for (1806-ish) seems to always be before the records began or in one of the gaps, but thanks anyway.

Maisie