Author Topic: Dating and Uniform  (Read 3111 times)

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating and Uniform
« on: Wednesday 15 June 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have just been passed these two photographs of my Great Great Uncle Thomas Smith. He is on the right in the first one, and the middle in the second.

He served in the 30th Somerset Light Infantry in WWII (see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=538769.msg3925125#msg3925125 for a group photograph that I am trying to find some more information about), but he also enlisted at an earlier age and was discharged when they found out he was too young. He was born in 1907, so he would have been too young for WWI.

Are these two photographs of the same era? The badge looks different on the second one, although this may be because it is blurred.

The photographs are actually a dark grey/brown, and both have a glossy finish.

I do have a few more: (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,538767.msg3925134.html#msg3925134 and similar), but am certain these are from the Second World War.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Alice
Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline aliceaevdb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dating and Uniform
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Second photograph:
Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Alice.

sorry, but these are definitely photos from the First World War

Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline aliceaevdb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
 :o

Oh dear.... they aren't who we thought they were then! He would have only been about 11 at the end of the war - I'm not sure his father served at all either!

If you have a second, would you mind looking at the two links - to make sure I haven't got those wrong too! I've got a lady from the Blackpool Gazette trying to find info on the group photo; hate to think I've sent her looking in the wrong dates!

(can I move this topic to the First World War board?)

Thankyou oldtimer :)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
1st one is no earlier than 1920 as they are Royal Corps of Signals(formed June 1920)....They look like Territorials so they could date into late twenties or thirties?
2nd one bit harder as blurred could be Royal Army Service Corps or Royal Engineers

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline aliceaevdb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Ooohh...

So this could be from the first time he signed up then? Thanks Ady, will look up the Royal Corps of Signals and Royal Army Service Corps/Royal Engineers. We have his 'second' military record, but no details of his first enlistment.

Apologies for the poor quality; I don't have a scanner so I've photographed the photos using my phone!

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
I am sure that oldtimer is correct.    They definitely lookm like WW one   cavalry men,  or horse drawn transport.

Just look at other photos on the World War One  section of the board/forum   and you will see  the same  leather "sash"   and the same  lower legs   and spurs.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
Heres an idea....The first photo could be of Royal Engineers who were also employed as signallers in the Great War....The Royal Corps of Signals which is the cap badge the guys in the first photo are wearing was formed in June 1920(so it dates after then) the guy on the right is wearing medal ribbons So after 1921/22 when they were all issued
So maybe originally he was in one of the Royal Engineer Signal Companys who then became Royal Corps of Signals after 1920...?
http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/42sqnhistory/42insignia.htm

Have a look at top two on this link.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline aliceaevdb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Looking at the original pictures (they are a tad clearer) I can definitely see the similarities there Ady! I'm going to ask around family members and see if they have any more photographs; as often happens sets have been split up....