Author Topic: Directory of Irish People Living in Manchester in 1861  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Directory of Irish People Living in Manchester in 1861
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Researching a surname like Kelly under the circumstances as described by aghadowey would leave you with little chance of finding the right baptism. The only advantage you have is knowing the father's occupation was bricklayer. The Baptism record from 1857 would cost you 5 Euro as most Irish parish records are pay to view and it would be a gamble to purchase it in the hope of the father being a bricklayer. I would say you have a brickwall here in your research that is very common with research into Irish ancestors. I don't think you'll be able to find out any more about Sarah Kelly.

C

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
sorry to complicate things... but RC records dont generally include occupations...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
Even worse then. Don't buy that baptism record it won't confirm anything.

C

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for all your help and suggestions.  I haven't seen the irishmidlandancestry si te before so I will have a good look at that one.  I hope I might be lucky one day. :)
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.irishmidlandsancestry.com/index.html

A very expensive option ("fee of €10 is for the initial assessment"...) with no more guarantee of an accurate result than Roots Ireland site mentioned earlier.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Look on the bright side a lot of people don't know the county where their Irish ancestor came from so at least you know they came from Queen's County/Laois.

C

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
A very expensive option ("fee of €10 is for the initial assessment"...) with no more guarantee of an accurate result than Roots Ireland site mentioned earlier.

Yes it is very expensive and I would expect an initial consultation to be free of charge if I was employing a professional, however, I thought the website was worth looking at as there is a fair amount of background information on there about Laois and the different parishes.

I wish you luck in your search Daisynook and I know how you feel.  My 3 x gt grandparents didn't specify which county in Ireland they came from but I live in hope that something might turn up one day.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:41 BST (UK) »
My husband's 3 x g.grandparents and 2 sons came over to Liverpool from Dublin sometime before the 1841 census, but like daisynook, it's impossible to find anything out about him.  His first wife died and he re-married in 1857, from that we know his father's name, and he married under the rites of the Roman Catholic Church, but that's as far as we can get.

Lizzie

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 June 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

Irish Genealogy ie have some free records for Dublin City and more are planned for the future.

C