Author Topic: help needed to find Alexander Grierson b about 1763 Wigton  (Read 7721 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help needed to find Alexander Grierson b about 1763 Wigton
« on: Thursday 16 June 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather Alexander Grierson is in the 1851 census at Barnacabber, Argyll, Dunoon and Kilmun parish.
  He was a mason aged 88 and his birthplace is given as Wigton, Dumfries. Giving a birth date of 1763
 I think that this must be Wigtownshire, but I have been unable to find any trace of a birth or baptism.
 Can anyone help me with parish Records or any other suggestions.
 He is also in the 1841 census at the same place but his age is given as 70 which indicates a birth date of 1771. The ages recorded in the 1841 census appear to be regarded as suspect but it indicates that his birth could be between 1763 and 1771.
  Any help would be very much appreciated
wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: help needed to find Alexander Grierson b about 1763 Wigton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga

There are two Alexander Griersons born in those years that you mention
1764 to 1771.

Alexander Grierson born 4th July 1764 in Dumfries parents are
Robert Grierson and Ann Hood

Alexander Grierson born 7th September 1769 in Kirkcudbright parents
James Grierson and Mary McCourtie.

If you believe it is Dumfries then it is clear which one lol.

Hope this helps

regards Sandymc

p.s. Wigton is in Cumbria and I will be there visiting end of July. ;)
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
Sandymc47
  I think that I have found the death of the Alexander Grierson in Kirkcudbright so have eliminated him. Mine appears that he must have died in Dunoon Kilmun between 1851 (census) and official registration in 1854-55 but I have not been able to find it recorded in OPR.
  You have just opened another can of worms as there are Griersons in Cumbria also.
   I have seen old records that referred to Wigtown as Wigton so have assumed that is where the 1851 census record is referring to. Why Dumfries is included, I don't know.
   I will see if the 4 Jul 1764 birth in Dumfries leads me anywhere.
 Thank you for your help
wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
There is also a  Wigtown in Wigtownshire, it is often misspelt Wigton in transcriptions.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
There is also a Wigtown in Wigtownshire, it is often misspelt Wigton in transcriptions.

Linda
         That was my interpretation of the 1851 census entry, that it was Wigton  written for Wigtown.
        Does anyone know if it is possible to access the Wigtown old parish records on the internet or where they are held.  I am in Australia.
     wyanga

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
There is a site called Scotlands People and they hold old parish records as well as census records after 1855.
You buy credits and they are normally 30 credits for about £7 dont know how much that is in Australian dollars.  Thats how I found the information about
the two Alexanders.

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
There don't appear to be any Griersons in the Wigtownshire OPR records for around that time. I checked on Scotlands people yesterday.  It's more a Dumfries and Kirkcudbrightshire surname really. I've found a lot in the parishes that my ancestors lived in in Kirkcudbrightshire.

Outside possible - there's a Wigton in Cummberland, acros the Solway from Dumfriesshire  (I see that Sandy mentioned this)

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 June 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Sandymac 47
  I have been into SP and I think that the Alexander Grierson at Tynron Parish Dumfries 4.7.1764 is a possibility. The only clues I have to my Alexander's origin is the 1851 census. My problem is linking the 1764 record to the ones in Argyll.
   Alexander Grierson was a mason and no doubt was working on the renovations at Glenfinnart House which were taking place at the time. He married a local girl Helen McKellar in 1837.
   This would make him well into his 60's at the time so very likely a widower, Helen was 35 but no mention of it on his marriage, only ' says both of this parish'
   I had hoped a death record may have given me more information but he doesn't appear in the 1855 or later registrations, so I dont have a death or buriel date and so far havn't found a MI.
   They only had two daughters both named from the mother and her family, Helen and Sophia.
   Grierson seems to be a name that the record keepers (clergy ) had difficulty with. Helen's death record is for 'Gregorson' . Sophia was 'Greeson' on her arrival in Australia and I have seen some quite wierd renditions of the name in the Cumbrian records.   
   Earlier records indicate that the name was derived from the McGregor name after the English banned its use and it became Gregson and Grierson.
wyanga     

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 June 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
gnu
       I am sticking with Wigtonshire and Dumfrieshire at the present time as they were the only clues that I have to his origins. Thank you for your interest.
Wyanga