Author Topic: MEDLOCK - SURKITT  (Read 8470 times)

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MEDLOCK - SURKITT
« on: Friday 17 June 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
I am searching for genealogy on my MEDLOCK & SURKITT ancestors.  A.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MEDLOCK - SURKITT
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

Normally I would say give us more information and tell us exactly what you're looking for, but I know these families very well as my grandmother was a Surkitt. My 3xg grandparents  were Samuel Surkitt and Elizabeth Medlock who married at Gt Paxton, Hunts, on 11 Feb 1811. I've traced both families back as far as I can - in both cases to c1600. What's your connection to them - are you from the English or the more numerous Australian branch?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you!  Here's my family line:

My maternal grandmother:  Sarah Jariott who emigrated to Hamilton, Ontario, in 1949-50. 
Sarah Jariott's father:  William Jariott who emigrated to Hamilton, Ontario, in 1949-50 with his daughters, Sarah and Betsy, after his wife, Sarah Surkitt (Jariott), died.
He left his daughter, Mary Ann, with his wife's parents, as they are in the 1851 census together in Toseland.
Sarah Jariott's mother:  Sarah Surkitt
Sarah Surkitt's parents:  Samuel Surkitt and Elizabeth Medlock

I've been collecting genealogy as a hobby for 30 years and could never figure out where Sarah Jariott was from in England.  Finally, someone in Hamilton, Ontario, found the cemetery stone for William Jariott, his wife, Sarah Surkitt Jariott (although I have the record of her death in Cambridgeshire - Caxton district and likely Eltisely where her children were baptized), along with their daughter, Betsy Jariott.  On the stone, it says that they were natives of Cambridgeshire.  So, I emailed the Cambridgeshire Family History Society and they identified them for me and told me who Sarah's parents were. 
I found Donna Bishop on-line in Australia and am in contact with her.  This was in May of this year.  I live in the Washington D.c. area and will be sharing the genealogy with many cousins in the U.S. as I'm working on putting everything I have into Family Tree Maker for them and my family.  I did make it to England a couple of years ago and walked through the cemeteries of some of the villages that I know about:  Eltisley, etc. and it was incredibly beautiful.  Donna told me that her ancestor was Sarah Surkitt's brother and  that he emigrated to Australia.  Thanks for any help.  Thank you for emailing me.  A.

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 11 14:38 BST (UK) »
Oh, Sarah Jariott was my maternal great-grandmother!  I made a typo!  I only figured out in looking at a census that Sarah Surkitt had a brother who named his children the same names that Sarah and her husband, William Jariott, named their children.  Catch you again soon!  A.

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Well, it's me again.  I am so excited to have reached Donna and now you.  I learned that they were from Cambridgeshire the year that my mother passed away.  She had tried to find out where Sarah Jariott was from in England, too, with me.  Once I told her the good news about the cemetery stone in Hamilton and where they were from, she told everyone, 'I knew we were somebody!  We're from Cambridge!'  Sarah Jariott married Samuel Scott in Hamilton.  He was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.  My parents did visit Scotland for this reason in 1994 and she fit right in. 

I have a photo of Sarah Jariott who, as you know, was the granddaughter of Samuel Surkitt and Elizabeth Medlock.

One of the problems we had for a very long time was that any record we found did not have Sarah Surkitt's surname correct.  Her surname was 'Arcuit' and also 'Circuit' in any records for her spouse/children in Canada.

Best wishes,  A.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean about the spelling of Surkitt - there are more varieties than Heinz 57! I have the name as Jarrett by the way! I haven't followed this line more recently than the 1841 census, but if they emigrated that's possibly why I couldn't find them. I take it they emigrated in 1849/50 rather than 1949/50.

If you send me an personal message with your email address I'll run off reports on what I know about the Medlocks and Surkitts.

There's a burial of Sarah Jarrett aged 34 on 12 July 1848 at Eltisley. The age fits but I'd need to see her death certificate to see who the informant was.

I descend from Sarah Surkitt's brother Samuel

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
I'm so excited!  Thank you!  Off the top of my head, Samuel is the brother who had named his children the same names.  My email is:  * .  I'll send any info I have for you, too.

Moderator comment: Email removed and sent by PM

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 June 11 03:17 BST (UK) »
David, I've just ordered the death record for Sarah Surkitt Jarriott (that's the spelling on her death registration) as you mentioned this to me.  Thank you,  Allison

Offline medlockons

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 June 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi David and A. in Washington. Can I join this thread please? Was Elizabeth Medlock the daughter of John Medlock = Mary Turner (married: Shelford, 1778). If not, who was she please? Am happy to share Medlock data with you.  Victor Medlock
MEDLOCK ONE-NAME STUDY
Including variants Madlock & Modlock
Registered with the Guild of One-Name Studies
www.one-name.org