Author Topic: Which Parish would this come under?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Which Parish would this come under?
« on: Friday 17 June 11 11:12 BST (UK) »

I wonder if anyone on here would know which Parish Morriston would have come under in 1811?

On the 1841 Census for Wales my G/G/Grandfather, Evan Rees is shown as having been born in Morriston, Glamorganshire in (Approx) 1811.

He married Anne, & one of their children was my G/Grandfather, - also Evan Rees, who married Margaret, & my Grandmother Margaret Rees, (1866-1934) was one of their children.

I've never been able to find a Birth Entry for the 1811 Evan Rees, (obviously pre-Registration, but presumably should be in Baptismal records?)

Any help welcomed!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Parish would this come under?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
If the birth is pre-July 1837, then you should be looking in Parish Registers.

And for that you need to know which church, or chapel!

Don't forget that Wales has a long history of non-Conformist chapels.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 11 14:00 BST (UK) »

After consulting GENUKI...

I have ascertained that Morriston would have come within the Parish of Llangyfelach in 1811...and so possibly the Church where Evan Rees might have been Baptised would have been the Church of St David and St Cyfelach?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Unless they were Chapel or Methodist.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Unless they were Chapel or Methodist.

I have no way of knowing that.

However, my Grandmother married in the Parish Church, (St Marys) Swansea, with her father and sister as witnesses...and so I'm guessing that the family must have been anglican.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
1841 shows only if born in county or not...

Morriston was under Llangyfelach at the time. It was the sub-district of Swansea East when I was born there.

You can't assume that safely, as marriages had to take place in the parish church before civil registration, and even afterward, marriages were allowed in non-conformist churches but a registrar had to attend. This was the case until sometime in the 1890s, I think. So, sometimes people marrying in the parish church was no guarantee of where they worshipped.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
1841 shows only if born in county or not...
Morriston was under Llangyfelach at the time. It was the sub-district of Swansea East when I was born there.
You can't assume that safely, as marriages had to take place in the parish church before civil registration, and even afterward, marriages were allowed in non-conformist churches but a registrar had to attend. This was the case until sometime in the 1890s, I think. So, sometimes people marrying in the parish church was no guarantee of where they worshipped.

Thanks for the imput Osprey.

Is it not possible for me to check this out then?

Romilly.
Researching:

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:53 BST (UK) »
there's no way of telling from a marriage cert if the person was a regular member of the congregation or no.

Looking for a baptism for Evan might take some time. There is no IGI batch for the parish of Llangyfelach, although some of the non-conformist churches are on the IGI. There could be other non-conformist churches that didn't surrender their records or deposit them in the record office. His family may have been Baptists & they don't practice infant baptism. In the Baptist records I've seen, there may not be any mention of parents.

Perhaps you could order the various films at your nearest LDS centre.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 August 14 18:21 BST (UK) »
Just revisiting this research, - and have found a Baptismal Entry for Evan Rees, Born November 1836, and Baptised at St Mary's Wesleyan Chapel, Llangyfelach. (ON FindMyPast)

Does anyone know if this Chapel still exists?

I am still stuck however, with finding a Birth Entry for Evan's father, (also Evan Rees) Born Approx 1816. (I have found him on the 1841 Census, with Wife Ann + children, William, Anne, Evan and Elizabeth Rees).

Romilly.
Researching: