Author Topic: Which Parish would this come under?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Parish would this come under?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 17:04 BST (UK) »

Having spent ages trying to find this Chapel as per the listing given on Ancestry... I contacted the West Glamorgan Archives, who say:

'This seems to be one of those situations where Ancestry gives slightly misleading information about where the records have come from and what they relate to. The chapel is Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Church, Swansea, which is in the parish of St Mary’s. The church was not generally known as Tabernacle, but as Wesley Chapel, Swansea. It stood on Goat Street at the date of this baptism, but was rebuilt on an adjoining site fronting onto College Street about a decade later. The building was eventually destroyed in the Three Nights’ Blitz but was not rebuilt'.

And so if anyone else on here should be looking for this Chapel, - it no longer exists!
(Image Attached).

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 21:31 BST (UK) »
not just Ancestry, it's on FamilySearch as well. I spent a while yesterday trying to work out which one was which and wondered if it was the one in Goat Street or the tabernacle in Alexandra Road. Glad you got it sorted!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/libraryline/7170740936/
Goat Street after the bombing
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 August 14 08:48 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for looking Osprey.

I found a little more about the 3 day 1941 Blitz in Swansea on this Site:

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=42986

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 August 14 17:42 BST (UK) »

I've had another email from the Archives, - saying that the Chapel where my ancestor was Baptised was actually the Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Tontine Street, Swansea. (Long demolished apparantly).

Does anyone on here know anything about it?

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching: