Author Topic: Coat of Arms of Prussian Baron - Identification Needed  (Read 4891 times)

Ó Maonaigh

Coat of Arms of Prussian Baron - Identification Needed
« on: Saturday 18 June 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
EDIT: DELETED

Ó Maonaigh

Re: Coat of Arms of Prussian Baron - Identification Needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 00:15 BST (UK) »

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 11 00:17 BST (UK) »
It's OK, O Maonaigh :)  I've moved it for you.

Can you tell us what time period we are looking at for your g-g-g-grandfather?  Do you know what your g-g-grandmother's name was, or under what name she married?  Is there a reason for not being sure of her father's name (e.g. did she not have the same name, or was she married several times and you don't have her original name)?

Cheers
Prue

Ó Maonaigh

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 00:22 BST (UK) »

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 11 07:59 BST (UK) »

Hi O Maonaigh,

here is a web site with Foxes in Heraldry:  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Foxes_in_heraldry?uselang=de

Regards Peonie

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 11 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ó Maonaigh,

Can't help directly, but remnants of a similar post at Ancestry deleted around 11th June
appear to disclose a surname.

Given your wish for privacy, you may wish to ask Ancestry to deal with that, if it was your post.

vv.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi O Maonaigh (sorry I can't do the accented O :) )

I've just seen the Ancestry board threads that VV mentioned - unfortunately although the information has now been deleted it still exists as cached pages.  Not sure you can do anything about that until Google refreshes their cache  :-\

It's going to be very difficult to identify a coat of arms from the description you've given.  I wonder if there is a Prussian Heraldry group online somewhere that could help you?  They might recognise the various elements and be able to tie them to something.  Added:  found the following site which I think might be useful to you if you can work  your way through the broken English (or read the German) -  http://www.heraldik-1a.com/herold_assiciation.html.

I have had some further thoughts about your search.  It seems to me that there are three separate aims:  one is to identify your g-g-g-grandfather correctly; another is to identify a coat of arms based on your g-g-grandmother's description; and the third is to try to connect the two.

I'm sure you have considered the possibility that your g-g-g-grandfather was not of the nobility.  In this case it might be that the coat of arms you have had described is a civic one, or one related to another family, that somehow became identified with your own family. 

If you have traced back to your g-g-g-grandfather the usual way (ie. through certificates and other documentation) then you should be able to identify his family and their social status, and from there determine whether or not he had a coat of arms and what it was.

Forgive me if I sound like I am trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs  ;D but we do very often find that people can get waylaid by family stories when in fact the reality is much easier to find :)

Best wishes
Cheers
Prue

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
It is a pity that you are unwilling to reveal the surnames involved because the maximum value on rootschat is usually obtained from various members interacting over information that others discover.  This thread is making no progress because there is insufficient information being posted upon which other members can base further investigation.

Somehow we need to decide which of the elements that you have described belong to which parts of a coat of arms.  At first sight most of them probably belong to the crest and mantling rather than the shield.  As such they could have belonged to many people.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk