Author Topic: Trainor's Bar (pub) 86 Armagh Rd. County Tyrone  (Read 6444 times)

Offline New Jersey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trainor's Bar (pub) 86 Armagh Rd. County Tyrone
« on: Saturday 18 June 11 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi - My husband and I are going to Ireland for the first time and I would love to visit where my grandmother grew up until she was 16 yrs when she took the boat with two of her sisters to the US.  I still have her trunk which she came with from Ireland in my family room.  Her other sister, Rose Trainor (Traynor) and her 3-4 brothers - John, Christopher who I know of stayed in Ireland.  I have met Rose when she came to the states to visit her sister Alice from NJ.  Rose must have passed away at least 27 years ago but I know her brothers must have family still over there.  The last address I had for Rose was Kielmore Dungannon, Co Tyrone, Ireland.  I know Rose had a pub and lived next door in the attached building and a grocery store.  My aunt (one of Alice's daughters) said there was a photo of a brick building with the pub on one side and the house attached.  I don't know why I have the address: 86 Armagh Rd. Dungannon.   My grandmother, Alice, was born 1900.  I remember her talking about an explosion at the pub but I don't know details.

When I read a Post  by Clannessie and gosteim1 regarding the Trainor family, I got so excited because it sounded like my family.  I remember my grandmother calling her brother Christopher - Christy! 

If anyone knows the area maybe you can help me out.  We are going to be in Dublin for two days, so on July 1st my husband and I would like to travel (by rented car or bus?) to visit my roots and possibly look up some relatives from the Trainor family. 

Hope to hear from someone who can lead us in the right direction.  Thanks.  New Jersey  (we are leaving the 29th of June)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trainor's Bar (pub) 86 Armagh Rd. County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
86 Armagh Rd. Dungannon would be the 'modern' address (earlier town and cities would have used street names but the townland name would have been the only address in the countryside).
Put '86 Armagh Rd. Dungannon' into Google and up came GoogleMaps which shows the location on the Armagh Road (A29) near junction of Lislasly Road. Just above that will be the word Kilmore (the townland name). The business at that address is called Traynor's Ltd (a car dismantlers)! You can drag the little orange man on the left to the spot and see what it looks like (unfortunately big blue lorry's in the way) Looking straight on the building the pub is to the right of the car business.

Googling also brings up this- Steptoes (Public Houses, Bars & Inns, shops, etc.) 86 Armagh Road Dungannon County Tyrone BT71 7JA (phone number listed)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
The only Traynor in Kilmore in 1911 is this Mary A.-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Minterburn/Kilmore/863903
She's here in 1901 (twenty years younger!)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Minterburn/Kilmore/1734425

The 1901 and 1911 census are both online-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

This is the earlier thread you mentioned-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,447757.msg3100633.html

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi New Jersey  :),
 I do know the area in fact I have just returned home after spending a weeks holiday in Armagh just near 86 Armagh Rd.  The Car yard is run by Traynors, a  Martin Traynor  has a garage close by too. He may be able to help you in your family search and may even be a relation, (*).  Armagh is about a 1 1/2 hrs drive North from Dublin on the motorway, the roads are good. This particular area is called orchard county   and  is very beautiful.  It is  a shame you are only in Dublin for a couple of days because there is so much to see in Ireland.
My great grandmother was a Traynor/Trainor from Crevelough Co Tyrone. Hope this is useful   to you.
Enjoy your visit and I hope you find your relations, Anne :)

(*) email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline New Jersey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 11 03:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Raysgirl and aghadowey for all the great info.  It was very helpful.  In fact, I have found relatives near here and hope to get together when I go to Ireland next week.  Thanks again.  Have a great day! 

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you've been able to make contact. Just hope the weather improves before you get here.

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hope you have a lovely time, enjoy your family reunion. The forecast is getting better so the weather should be good. Best Wishes Anne x
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline cgtcgt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 December 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi how are you.  My name is Traynor from near the Moy road and I am a relation with Rosie Being my great great aunt.  My grandfather was Christy the son of the Christopher/Christy you are talking about who was your mums brother.  Let me know how you got on or if you are still on here to find out more about our family. :) :)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but the original post is from June 2011 and the poster hasn't been back since then.