Author Topic: Stones families of Fearboy, 1847 - 1901  (Read 20201 times)

Offline Denis Menton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stones families of Fearboy, 1847 - 1901
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 03 March 19 19:17 GMT (UK) »
My family are Menton originally from Wexford and my g grandfather Thomas moved to Dublin in 1880s and married in County Dublin and eventually settled in city centre.
2 of his sons Stephen and Denis married 2 Stone sisters in Dublin.
Patrick Stones and Mary Hynds were their grandparents.
So basically 2 of my dads uncles married 2 grand daughters of your gg grandparents.
You and I would not be directly related by blood but are definitely related through marriages.
I am 63 now and live in London since I left Dublin in 1992 and have been doing my family tree since about 2010.
Like you I knew absolutely nothing about my paternal ancestors except family stories they came from Wexford but I now have a tree with a few thousand people on it.
I started it to try trace my maternal grandfathers 1st world war documents for my mother as a surprise and hit a brick wall immediately because of shame and lies in the family stories. I eventually discovered my mothers father was born out of wedlock by a married woman for my g grandad who was single and died at 20 years old so my grandfather was reared by his paternal grandparents.
The web of intrigue I discovered just blew my mind and my mother was mortified and even then tried to mix things up with wrong names and dates.
She died in 2012 but I did manage to get her dads war papers for her and it just spiraled from there.
I did initially have a subscription to Ancestry which is where my initial tree still is but I cancelled my subscription after about 2 years and the irony is my tree , or what it was then, is still on Ancestry but I cant view it without subscribing.
I realized Ancestry was a big rip off basically, despite it being a huge resource for research so I bought a software program...Rootsmagic, a brilliant bit of software, and that is where I have everything now. The beauty about it is I can make shareable CDs or USB keys with the family tree and edit it in such a way that I can make anyone on it whats called the "root person". This basically means that person is at the bottom of the tree and everyone else shoots off from him in a direct lineage or by way of different branches.
I recommend it to you as a secure way of storing and sharing your tree as well.
The customer support is exceptional even now and despite me not upgrading past RM 5.
I should imagine the latest version has a lot of extras that are great.
Even my initial 1st version...RM3 I think it was, has a direct link to Ancestry and loads of search engines but with Ancestry and others like it I still need a subscription to use their service.
I seldom need anything like that now as I have so much done already but now and again I go to my local library wher free access toi Ancestry and everywhere else is available.
When I go to Dublin I also visit various research centres and libraries if I need to as well.
I hope that wasn't too long an explanation for you...see attachments.
I tried to attach several certificates but my message was not sent as attachments were too large it said so I have given you links for them instead.

Esther Stone birth death and marriage: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01741/1687798a.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1935/08950/5239616.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1936/04805/4293220.pdf
Edith Stone birth and marriage: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01541/1623919.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1936/08915/5224274.pdf
Thomas Stone 1876 son of Patrick and Mary Hynes birth and 1901 census: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03067/2124205.pdf
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Fitzwilliam/Camden_Place/1305603/

That should keep you busy for a while and tie up any loose ends about connection between us
MENTON Wexford/Wicklow/Galway/Dublin/Offaly
MURPHY Wexford
COLLINS/KENNY/DOYLE/BENNETT Dublin
BYRNE/CASEY/GAFFNEY Dublin
KELLY/BYRNE Rathdown Dublin
HENDRICK/GOSLIN Wexford/Dublin
HENDRICK/MULLEN/QUIRKE Dublin
CURRY/HINCH/BRIEN Dublin

RICE/KING Dublin
KING/DORMAN/LEE Dublin/Ulster
KING/CARABINI/FOY/CULLEN/CONNOR Dublin/Italy
LEDDEN/WALSH/MC LOUGHLIN/MAGUIRE/LYNCH Dublin
RICE/GRAY/GRIFFIN/MASTERSON Dublin
MORAN/LEDDY Dublin/Clare/Galway
MORAN/SULLIVAN/BYRNE Dublin

Offline Stonesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Awesome,  thanks for that it clears up a lot of stuff like I said I thought Thomas stones moved to Bolton and died during ww1. My great grandad was to old to fight during ww1, but he was honored for his work effort in a rubber factory in Moston by the king. He also worked for the railways as a platelayer then when he was to old to do that he became a signal man. He had four children that lived and one that died as a baby, Patrick was a handsome man who dressed imaculately when not at work he was a hard man a fighting man. He died in 1937 leaving four young children, Nora, Patrick, John and Mary. Patrick and John were twins, Nora had 2 kids son and daughter, the daughter became a wren and married an admiral in the US navy. Her son became a top cop for GMP, Patrick had two kids son and daughter  not much is known about them at this time. John was my grandad he died age 35, he was the hardest of the hard men he was the uncrownd king of Ireland which was a fighting title held by the hardest of the Irish men. When he died thousands came to his funeral from all over the UK Ireland and USA because the uncrownd king had died. Then there was a big fight to see who would be the uncrownd king. In all honesty my dad's mother hid most of my grandads life from my dad and her grandchildren. Mary stones not much is known of her she had a daughter.

Offline Stonesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:29 GMT (UK) »
In the picture from left to right it's John,  Mary,  Nora,  Patrick.  The picture is of nora''s holy communion in 1930. I saw this for the first time in my life in 2018, then I got my grandads murchant navy photo from the royal archive, I think.

Offline Stonesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
During ww2 my grandad was in the merchant navy on the nariva it was hit by a Uboat torpedo and sank in the batle ofthe Atlantic shrapnel from the impact hit him below his eye he was 19 in the picture.

Offline Stonesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 04 March 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who Patrick stones mother was, his father was John,  was his mother Mary Anne ginnivun?

And did you know that the stones came to Ireland as a solider in cromwells army, and he married an Irish women she birthed 3 sons to him. And every stones and stone family in Ireland and came out of Ireland come from the soldier. Some stones took the s off the name through fall outs with their own family's. And some through census officials being lazy and not putting the s at the end.

The stones name is a land mark name,  it came out of Cornwall where the stones held a family seat. When names were given out people got their names from either their job or land marks or the region where they lived. The stones clan were given their name because they lived by some neolithic stones that were sticking out of the ground.

The stones thought against the vikings and that saying if you can't beat them join them it's not that it's breed with them. 10 stones men married 10 viking women in between 1072 to 1190 the viking women had their four father names attached to them. Because in them days as a man you needed to know who you were breeding with back 4 generations. Hence the saying our four fathers, the viking women 4 times great grandfather was harald hardrarder. I did my dna I am 70.1% Irish scotch Welsh 22.1%. English 5.9% Norwegian viking. Which when I found this out I really wanted to know where the viking came from. My ancient dna is more in the viking kingdoms and England.

Offline Denis Menton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that very informative info. So your grandfather was basically king of the gypsies despite not being a traveller/gypsy himself. Thats quite remarkable.
The only problem is because all these children in photo were born in 1920s I have no record of who they are as the only Stones I have in 1900s basically are the family my fathers family married into from Francis Street in Dublin.
Let me have your grandfathers DOB and any details, his parents etc,  and I will see if I can trace this wife of John for you
MENTON Wexford/Wicklow/Galway/Dublin/Offaly
MURPHY Wexford
COLLINS/KENNY/DOYLE/BENNETT Dublin
BYRNE/CASEY/GAFFNEY Dublin
KELLY/BYRNE Rathdown Dublin
HENDRICK/GOSLIN Wexford/Dublin
HENDRICK/MULLEN/QUIRKE Dublin
CURRY/HINCH/BRIEN Dublin

RICE/KING Dublin
KING/DORMAN/LEE Dublin/Ulster
KING/CARABINI/FOY/CULLEN/CONNOR Dublin/Italy
LEDDEN/WALSH/MC LOUGHLIN/MAGUIRE/LYNCH Dublin
RICE/GRAY/GRIFFIN/MASTERSON Dublin
MORAN/LEDDY Dublin/Clare/Galway
MORAN/SULLIVAN/BYRNE Dublin

Offline Tomas D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 29 August 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have sent you a Google Maps link, the house in it with the bollards outside is situated in Clonlurkan townland, I believe Hynds lived in behind this house further in the fields.
Regards,
TomásD

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3807623,-7.7112845,3a,75y,247.41h,82.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soATtwUySW0oPQpOOaK1chg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Adamson, Digan, Kelly, Burke, Griffith, Greene